codyhuntsaz

Turkey in 27

Anyone have any luck? We were up for 3 days and didn’t hear a single gobble during daylight or at night on the roost. Only saw 3 hens and they were all alone cruising. 

Nothing on Friday at all.

Saturday got a Tom to gobble 4 of 5 times as he was going away from us.the next stand got a bird to answer but would not get any closer than 100yds away.

Sunday was a blank. 

• Like 1

Had them going decently Friday morning for a bit. Saturday I shot a jake (my first turkey) at 530 am. Didn't have much gobbling after that, did call in two beardless jakes on Monday morning, but not much noise at all. (This was in unit 1).

• Like 3

I’ve been up here since Sunday. I’m hunting 27 and my buddy is in 1. Definitely has been tougher than usual for us. Finally got one to come in this morning but never had a good shot. Gobbling was over by 545 for me this morning. Seen several Toms that were already with hens too. 

• Like 1

We just got back from 27 and it was rough. Had one gobble for like 5 minutes then shut down, other then that didn’t hear a thing in 4 full days. Saw maybe 15 hens while hiking around in those 4 days. Maybe they were talking when we were fishing mid day 🤔

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dustin25 said:

We just got back from 27 and it was rough. Had one gobble for like 5 minutes then shut down, other then that didn’t hear a thing in 4 full days. Saw maybe 15 hens while hiking around in those 4 days. Maybe they were talking when we were fishing mid day 🤔

Sounds like my hunt last year in 1. It was quiet the whole time. I was in OK a few years ago and had one come in hot from about 30 yards at about 3:30 in the afternoon when my buddy  did a couple of hen calls. He gobbled right back and we barely had time to set up.

Back in 2016 I was sitting on a friends porch trying to get out out the wind in Sonora and had a Tom cruising past the house about 75 yards away in the late afternoon headed to roost gobbling his head off. I'm just conditioned to getting into them at first light.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwarovskiCoues said:

went 4 for 4 in unit 1, birds going absolutely insane. nothing better!

Glad that someone had some success in unit 1. It was a struggle for me this year too, not very vocal and found some in unusual spots. This was the first time I've ever chased turkeys in the cedar/ juniper country in unit 1. Would never had guessed that they would be in that country had they not been crossing the road in front of me. Also a bit curious where they roost at night with those short trees. All the roost trees I've found are usually big ponderosas.

14 minutes ago, az41mag said:

Glad that someone had some success in unit 1. It was a struggle for me this year too, not very vocal and found some in unusual spots. This was the first time I've ever chased turkeys in the cedar/ juniper country in unit 1. Would never had guessed that they would be in that country had they not been crossing the road in front of me. Also a bit curious where they roost at night with those short trees. All the roost trees I've found are usually big ponderosas.

I had some that were roosted a little more than 15' up in a dead tree in South Oklahoma. There were taller trees around.