Sign in to follow this  
maximus

point of impact berger bullets

I have a question about POI, i reload with 130 grain berger vld hunting  for my 6.5 creedmoor but i did reload some rounds with the vld target and the POI is different then the vld hunting, is that possible? they have same ballistic coefficient and looks like same bullet properties. 

Usually more gun dependent than the bullet in my experience but I have has bullets of the same weight be 3" off at 50 yards.

• Like 1

Different bullet makes for different barrel harmonics = different POI.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AZAV8ER said:

Different bullet makes for different barrel harmonics = different POI.

Thank you, i was confused because they have same properties but something is different.

Apparently the difference in jacket thickness is enough to cause the difference. The external dimensions should be identical.

• Like 1

Different jacket thickness creates a slightly different ogive and bearing surface even though both are VLD. VLD bullets can be very finicky. Hence the reason for the Hybrid bullet success.

the only reason i'm using the vld targets is because i don't want to use the hunting ones for shooting practice and won't find any in stock.

36 minutes ago, maximus said:

the only reason i'm using the vld targets is because i don't want to use the hunting ones for shooting practice and won't find any in stock.

I shot a metric ton of stuff with the 210gr target bullets out of my 30-338 lapua.  They were fine.  That being said I wouldn’t trust a 130gr out of a creedmoor on much bigger then a coues. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 4:33 PM, yotebuster said:

I shot a metric ton of stuff with the 210gr target bullets out of my 30-338 lapua.  They were fine.  That being said I wouldn’t trust a 130gr out of a creedmoor on much bigger then a coues. 

that's the only thing i hunt with the creedmoor. i have a 300 win mag with 210 bergers for everything else, if i can get drawn for elk.