Sign in to follow this  
k-rub

2023 Kaibab Bison Success!

Bro you are a bada$$! huge congrats and thanks for your service.  You've gotten 2 of the hardest animals to pull off on the AZ big 10 (the only grand slam I'm interested in).  I hope you pull an antelope tag next. the other 7 or whatever you still need should be a cake walk .  Is your ram on the wall yet?

Congrats!  Very cool.  Good work to all parties!  I do have to ask though, was hammering one with a rifle premeditated to hopefully confuse them and keep them around?  I feel like if I was holding a rifle and hunting with a double amputee with a bow I’d let them try to shoot first and then crush one.  Sometimes things happen fast and it sounds like it worked out better for you in the long run but that seems risky!!  I sat in a a blind for 158 hours and never had one come into the salt.  Ended up killing one in Jackson WY on the elk refuge the next year but bison were kind of a sore spot for me for a while!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Bro you are a bada$$! huge congrats and thanks for your service.  You've gotten 2 of the hardest animals to pull off on the AZ big 10 (the only grand slam I'm interested in).  I hope you pull an antelope tag next. the other 7 or whatever you still need should be a cake walk .  Is your ram on the wall yet?

Thanks man! It's been a wild ride. Since February last year I've been in the field over 120 days. I love every second of it. Yep I got my ram back and it's on the wall. I did a euro. Yeah I know everyone will hate me for it haha. But I truly love euros the best. I'm definitely doing a euro and tanning the hide for this bison.

IMG_1799.heic

• Like 1

19 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Congrats!  Very cool.  Good work to all parties!  I do have to ask though, was hammering one with a rifle premeditated to hopefully confuse them and keep them around?  I feel like if I was holding a rifle and hunting with a double amputee with a bow I’d let them try to shoot first and then crush one.  Sometimes things happen fast and it sounds like it worked out better for you in the long run but that seems risky!!  I sat in a a blind for 158 hours and never had one come into the salt.  Ended up killing one in Jackson WY on the elk refuge the next year but bison were kind of a sore spot for me for a while!

You know, stuff happens while hunting. I was 20 yds back behind my hunting buddy. He was only able to see 1 bison because of the way the blind was situated. It blocked the other two bison. He was able to take the first one and then I was able to come in and take another. Everything happens for a reason and I'm not mad at all. In the end it all turned out great. 158 hours is a long long time. I'll bet that tested your patience to it's end.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 6:18 PM, k-rub said:

Thanks man! It's been a wild ride. Since February last year I've been in the field over 120 days. I love every second of it. Yep I got my ram back and it's on the wall. I did a euro. Yeah I know everyone will hate me for it haha. But I truly love euros the best. I'm definitely doing a euro and tanning the hide for this bison.

IMG_1799.heic

Awesome!  That a lot of field time congrats.

Cant view the pic though for some reason...

Very cool. Congratulations.