Sign in to follow this  
AZLance

Muzzleloader Shotgun Goulds

I was blessed again with an awesome Goulds tag, and was able to take this awesome double bearded gobbler with a muzzleloader shotgun. It took me a long time to draw this coveted tag and used my 26 bonus points. We had 6 gobblers talking to us opening morning. This one came in on a string to the call and put on a show for us.

IMG_20230505_074138.jpg

• Like 28

That's a great bird, and to do it with a muzzle-loader is even better. What made you decide to use the ML on a hunt that took 26 points to draw? That takes some pretty serious confidence IMO. :D

• Like 1

Muzzleloading shotguns are supposed to be tight patterning long range guns. Only downside is you only have one shot. How often do you even need the second shot and after the bird is running how affective is the second shot anyway. With the rising cost of turkey loads why not. The new TSS loads are $10 plus a round and the cheaper copper plated lead is getting harder to find. 

• Like 1

my good buddy talked me into the muzzleloader shotgun, he used one a a few years back and killed the #1 muzzleloader Goulds. I gave up rifle hunting a few years back and only hunt with a bow or muzzleloader now, so this was just a easy decision for me. The gun has a very tight pattern and shoots great! it takes about as long to reload as a regular muzzleloader. The muzzleloader is made by Knight. I used 110 grains of pyrodex pistol powder and #4 shot.  Dream come true! I have a great video, ill try to figure out how to post it.

IMG_20230505_212007.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Congrats on a great Tom!  Very cool to do it with a muzzleloader. I grew up hunting elk and javelina with a muzzleloader but I've never considered hunting with a muzzleloader shotgun. Might have to add that to my bucket list. Thanks for sharing!

-Tracy