Sign in to follow this  
TR0UBLE SH00TER

Applying together point spread

2 hours ago, AZbowhntr said:

But if you say, 4 guys put in together with only 1 bonus point they are still more likely to draw a tag than someone putting in by themselves that has 2 points.  If any one of the 4 guys draw a tag then they all do.  It seems that their odds would be double that of the guy putting in by himself. At least that is how I see it.

I think the application draws a random number or numbers, not each individual on the application. At least I hope that is the case.... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AZbowhntr said:

But if you say, 4 guys put in together with only 1 bonus point they are still more likely to draw a tag than someone putting in by themselves that has 2 points.  If any one of the 4 guys draw a tag then they all do.  It seems that their odds would be double that of the guy putting in by himself. At least that is how I see it.

This is incorrect. The group is assigned one random number, its not 4 chances. The person with 2 points get assigned 2 random numbers. The lowest numbers get the tag and it goes up from there to see if tags are left.

• Like 4

So, if an individual puts in solo and has 6 points then the app is assigned 7 random numbers and the lowest random number of the 7 is assigned to the app?               So if 4 people with 6 points put in together does each individual get 7 random numbers which would give them 28 chances at a low random number and then the lowest of the 28 random numbers is assigned to the app or is the 7 random number average used to issue their 7 random chances at a low number and that number is assigned to applicant A giving the whole application the same number of chances as a single person app? 

5 hours ago, 654321 said:

So, if an individual puts in solo and has 6 points then the app is assigned 7 random numbers and the lowest random number of the 7 is assigned to the app?               So if 4 people with 6 points put in together does each individual get 7 random numbers which would give them 28 chances at a low random number and then the lowest of the 28 random numbers is assigned to the app or is the 7 random number average used to issue their 7 random chances at a low number and that number is assigned to applicant A giving the whole application the same number of chances as a single person app? 

Numbers are assigned by point average of the application, not the total number of points on the application.

-Guy with 6 points puts in by himself,  the application get assigned 7 numbers and only the low number matters. 

-4 guys put in together and the point average is 6 points, the application get assigned 7 numbers and only the low number matters. NOT 7 DIFFERENT NUMBERS PER HUNTER. 

So technically the draw odds are the some for both applications.

HOWEVER, the group app does have an additional disadvantage. They all draw or no one on the application draws. So if their number comes up next as tags are being alloted, but there are only 1, 2, or 3 tags remaining, none of these four get a tag and they go onto the next number in line.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, MogollonMan said:

Numbers are assigned by point average of the application, not the total numer of points on the application.

-Guy with 6 points puts in by himself,  the application get assigned 7 numbers and only the low number matters. 

-4 guys put in together and the point average is 6 points, the application get assigned 7 numbers and only the low number matters. NOT 7 DIFFERENT NUMBERS PER HUNTER. 

HOWEVER, the group app does have an additional disadvantage. They all draw or no one on the application draws. So if their number comes up next as tags are being alloted, but their are only 1, 2, or 3 tags remaining, none of these four get a tag and they go onto the next number in line.

This is how I understand it as well.

2 hours ago, MogollonMan said:

Numbers are assigned by point average of the application, not the total numer of points on the application.

HOWEVER, the group app does have an additional disadvantage. They all draw or no one on the application draws. So if their number comes up next as tags are being alloted, but their are only 1, 2, or 3 tags remaining, none of these four get a tag and they go onto the next number in line.

Yes.  This.

• Like 1

I learned something with this post. I understood it exactly as MogollonMan described it with the exception of the last part.

I thought if there was 1 tag left and the hypothetical application with 4 people was picked, then the AZGFD would issue 4 tags. Under this procedure, the maximum # of tags issued would, at most, exceed the # of tags allotted by 3 which, in the vast majority of situations, would be insignificant from a game animal population standpoint. That way they wouldn't have to keep re-drawing until they got to an application with only 1 person on it.

But the system described by MogollonMan makes sense because in cases where there is only 1 or 2 tags available, sending 4 hunters into the field could indeed have an impact on game populations.

On 6/16/2023 at 6:09 AM, Jimmer Negamanee said:

I learned something with this post. I understood it exactly as MogollonMan described it with the exception of the last part.

I thought if there was 1 tag left and the hypothetical application with 4 people was picked, then the AZGFD would issue 4 tags. Under this procedure, the maximum # of tags issued would, at most, exceed the # of tags allotted by 3 which, in the vast majority of situations, would be insignificant from a game animal population standpoint. That way they wouldn't have to keep re-drawing until they got to an application with only 1 person on it.

But the system described by MogollonMan makes sense because in cases where there is only 1 or 2 tags available, sending 4 hunters into the field could indeed have an impact on game populations.

Wyoming is the only state I know of that over allocates tags.  In Wyoming they would give out 4 tags if there were only one tag left. 

First he shot a stud last year, how do you top that. Second exactly correct on if there is one tag  left and four people on the app that was pulled, it would go back in the drawing and go to the next in line. Thats why we don't put multiple people on an application for Big Horn right...

• Like 2

Yes he did, thank you. And no, there's not much that would top that experience! 

We are just trying to hunt a bit closer to home this deer season as our antler-less elk hunt won't be.

If not, we'll still be happy enough to receive any tag if we do. Only a few more days now...

• Like 1