Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Black River Reports

Here's a fairly decent source.... (Dan is the BEST source! ;) )

Black River Near Fort Apache, Az. - USGS Water Data for the Nation   

Like lots of folks, my buddies and I try to do an annual May trip.  We've been watching it carefully, and it looks like we'll continue to push it.  We typically fish it the first time when it is in the 160 CFS range.  Currently running at 290ish..... (180% of average)   Likely fishable, but we're holding off for now.

S.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CouesFanatic said:

Ya that does look good. The problem is we have to cross the river 5-10 times a day. I don't really want to swim every time. 

You must be fishing up in the area that we frequent. ;)

I've never been to the pump station, but looking at that video makes me want to check it out.

• Like 1

I was there May 6 and it was unfishable. It looked OK at first but moving way too fast, and impossible to cross. Even went to Bonito instead and it was also way too high and fast. Not sure how much it's changed in 11 days.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 4:22 PM, Coach said:

I was there May 6 and it was unfishable. It looked OK at first but moving way too fast, and impossible to cross. Even went to Bonito instead and it was also way too high and fast. Not sure how much it's changed in 11 days.

This graph gives a pretty good feel for relative flow over the past month or so....   Doesn't look like it's come down too much since the 11th.

Black River Near Fort Apache, Az. - USGS Water Data for the Nation

On 5/17/2023 at 6:34 PM, Red Rabbit said:

Yep, good info, Doug.

The great news is, this high flow is cleaning up the bottom, giving room for the crawdads to thrive, which is, of course, the main food source. It's been hard to watch over the last decade or so with all the fires, gravel banks turning into mud, the gross slimy gray moss. Looking forward to going back in to see if it cleaned out as much as I'm hoping. There were places I could see debris in the trees higher than I could reach, so fingers crossed. 

• Like 6

Just got back Saturday night from 4 days at Pacheta camp ( left road out of Ten of Diamonds ) about 3 miles down river with 4 river crossings. My first time to this location, I've frequented the up river side with 6 crossings many times. Lots of people even midweek camping , but not really hard core fishing? Beautiful camping area. The river going up or down has ALOT of rapids because of elevation drop and very few good holes to fish. Caught on average 15 smallies a day, but were quality fish. 2-3 pounds . Seen one guy with a 24" big healthy Brown on a stringer also. This area was quality not quantity most definitely. To easy of access for my liking, hence the amount of people.

• Like 4

Just back from black river, fishing a little slower than usual but still 10-15 a day do-able. Catfish were pretty active on nightcrawlers or shrimp. Had the usual bear visitors at night. Was at tick flats.

• Like 2