Boarman03

Purple stripes on trees - No Trespassing

I guess I'm slow to find out, but land owners can use purple stripes on trees to designate their property line and No Trespassing. They don't have to post a sign. 

I accidently ran across it doing a different search on the internet last night.

Are there others who didn't know about the purple strips on trees and posts besides myself?

I guess I'm painting the trees withing 200 yards of my tree stands from now on. Do I need to confirm it with Oprah first?

Check out ARS-17-304, only applies to hunters.  Paint (orange) on a post, every 1/4 mile of a property boundary, signage at corners & vehicle access.   

17-304. Prohibition by landowner on hunting, fishing, trapping or guiding; trespassing; posting; requirements

A. Landowners or lessees of private land who desire to prohibit hunting, fishing, trapping or guiding on their lands without their permission shall post such lands closed to hunting, fishing, trapping or guiding using notices or signboards.

B. State or federal lands, including those under lease, may not be posted except by consent of the commission.

C. The notices or signboards shall meet all of the following criteria:

1. Be at least eight inches by eleven inches with plainly legible wording in capital and bold-faced lettering at least one inch high.

2. Contain the words "no trespassing", "no hunting", "no trapping", "no fishing" or "no guiding" either as a single phrase or in any combination.

3. Be conspicuously placed on a structure or post at all points of vehicular access, at all property or fence corners and at intervals of not more than one-quarter mile along the property boundary, except that a post with one hundred square inches or more of orange paint may serve as the interval notices between property or fence corners and points of vehicular access.  The orange paint shall be clearly visible and shall cover the entire aboveground surface of the post facing outward and on both lateral sides from the closed area.

D. The entry of any person for the taking of wildlife is not grounds for an action for criminal trespassing pursuant to section 13-1502 unless either:

1. The land has been posted pursuant to this section and the notices and signboards also contain the words "no trespassing".

2. The person knowingly remains unlawfully on any real property after a reasonable request to leave by a law enforcement officer acting at the request of the owner, the owner or any other person having lawful control over the property or the person knowingly disregards reasonable notice prohibiting entry to any real property.

That purple paint thing is across all states. 
personally I still use the big yellow no trespassing signs every 30 yds..

20 minutes ago, Titanium700 said:

That purple paint thing is across all states. 
personally I still use the big yellow no trespassing signs every 30 yds..

can you show us where in az law it talks about the purple paint??

1 hour ago, AZLance said:

can you show us where in az law it talks about the purple paint??

Az isn’t purple.  It’s orange.  But some states do allow the purple. 

I wish Az would just go back to being a red state. Just saying...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Northern Pintail said:

Az isn’t purple.  It’s orange.  But some states do allow the purple. 

exactly

• Like 1

Different subject but can anybody explain all the trees with paint on them after an area gets logged?  I always assumed it was trees marked for being cut but it seems there are too many left if this is the reason.  Some have 1 line some have 3.  I can’t figure out what all the painted trees are supposed to mean.  I was camping this weekend in an area that had been heavily logged last year and it seemed like half the remaining trees had orange paint on them

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coueser said:

Different subject but can anybody explain all the trees with paint on them after an area gets logged?  I always assumed it was trees marked for being cut but it seems there are too many left if this is the reason.  Some have 1 line some have 3.  I can’t figure out what all the painted trees are supposed to mean.  I was camping this weekend in an area that had been heavily logged last year and it seemed like half the remaining trees had orange paint on them

The trees with orange paint are those that are to remain.  Any pine tree without paint gets cut.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Man id love to see "colors on a tree" stand up in court.

Is some states, chances are good that you wouldn't make it to a court room.  (Insert banjo music)

I spent a few years in Arkansas and purple paint on trees is a reality.