Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Update on a Cool Find

After Googling  the name on the dog tag I found, I was given several phone numbers, addresses and possible family members.

I sent a photo of the dog tag to the cell numbers associated with the veterans name. 

About a week later, I got a response simply asking  "Who is this?"

After an explanation I was told that I had indeed located the next of kin. The vets widow, son and daughter in law were living in the same home.

When I asked the daughter in law how the tag might have ended up out there in Morristown where I unearthed it.

Back 60 years ago, the hotel there was also a general store, post office and had a Texaco garage.

Sp4 Jarvis and wife were living in Sun City. He loved trains and since the  old hotel was only a few hundred feet from the railroad tracks, he could take photos of the trains while having his car serviced.

The tag arrived at his sons and widows home yesterday, this Memorial day weekend. 

31490.thumb.jpeg.63708a75b8c6eb3b63fac87027d4f524.jpeg

31489.thumb.jpeg.8f12c950d8f9f7c2a6ce45af6ae8d48b.jpeg31143.thumb.jpeg.4b31e09a2a0b17e5217394ba77c17ba0.jpeg

Y'all have a good weekend and remember the reason  we have a 3 day weekend.

• Like 38
  • Love 1

Why am I not surprised you did that, Tim. So freaking awesome!!

• Like 4

Those Vietnam era dog tags are different from the ones I was issued. These have the Name, serial number. The letters RA means Regular Army then the number Mr. Jarvis was issued. It was SSN after about 1967. The T58 was the year he got his Tetanus shot 1958. That info wasn't on ours. Blood type, that was on ours and then religious preference. That notch on the left side was to place in your teeth with a closed mouth if you were killed in action, which wasn't on my era dog tags. Late 70's and 80's.

• Like 5

God works in all ways of wonder. Right on Tim. Good work for doing this. Perfect timing too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

Those Vietnam era dog tags are different from the ones I was issued. These have the Name, serial number. The letters RA means Regular Army then the number Mr. Jarvis was issued. It was SSN after about 1967. The T58 was the year he got his Tetanus shot 1958. That info wasn't on ours. Blood type, that was on ours and then religious preference. That notch on the left side was to place in your teeth with a closed mouth if you were killed in action, which wasn't on my era dog tags. Late 70's and 80's.

I have my grandfathers somewhere. He was born in 1889 or so and served in WW1. It is round, about the size of a 50 cent piece.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I have my grandfathers somewhere. He was born in 1889 or so and served in WW1. It is round, about the size of a 50 cent piece.

My Dad has my Grandfather's dogtag from the same era as yours. I think then they were worn on their boot rather around the neck.

10 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

My Dad has my Grandfather's dogtag from the same era as yours. I think then they were worn on their boot rather around the neck.

I don't know what became of my father's dog tags or service medals. I do have what the federal government gave my grandmother.  The anchor and star when dad enlisted 1944, and the Exellence in war time production medal.

20230529_083909.thumb.jpg.9a783974776afb8e8b0814fae9fe2141.jpg

• Like 5