Sign in to follow this  
Umpqua

Unsuccessful hunter in 22S in 2022?

At this point in life, I have MAYBE another 8 years I could hunt sheep hard.

I started applying late, so I am no where near max.  But, if I draw a tag in the next 15 years, it will probably go to one of my granddaughters if it is after 2030-2031.   

Guys check out Jay Scott’s latest pod cast on the sheep outlook and units. Great info and goes over 22 and quality and the bonus point info. FYI this year G&F increased Desert Sheep by 16. Listen to the podcast great info. 

On 5/31/2023 at 12:23 PM, SwarovskiCoues said:

most animals wouldn't budge if they were barely hunted once a year. like muleys and elk in neighborhoods etc.

Yeah very true 

So, while we're on the subject of sheep. I'm a non-resident with 24 sheep points. Do I have a better chance of drawing a tag with 24 points than a resident with 24 points? I've had people tell me either way. Guess it depends how many non-residents put in for the same hunts as me? Thanks for any insight.

19 minutes ago, DUG said:

So, while we're on the subject of sheep. I'm a non-resident with 24 sheep points. Do I have a better chance of drawing a tag with 24 points than a resident with 24 points? I've had people tell me either way. Guess it depends how many non-residents put in for the same hunts as me? Thanks for any insight.

What hunts you gonna apply for 

2 hours ago, DUG said:

20% of tags goto max point holders, 10% of tags are allocated to nonresidents. So im not sure id agree with you having better odds than a resident with same points. You for sure dont want to apply for top tier units that max point holders apply for year after year. Best to go for the less sought after units etc...but then again it is the AZGFD and they screw up every draw cycle. Goodluck!!! 

• Like 3

I could be wrong but. But I thought Out of those 10% tags to non residents. I believe 5% go to NR max point holders. The other 5% goes to NR random. Unless your sitting at 34 points you’ll be in the random for 5% of the tags remaining to NR. Don’t put in for units w only 1 tag.  Because 0 will go to NR. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, buglethemin said:

I could be wrong but. But I thought Out of those 10% tags to non residents. I believe 5% go to NR max point holders. The other 5% goes to NR random. Unless your sitting at 34 points you’ll be in the random for 5% of the tags remaining to NR. Don’t put in for units w only 1 tag.  Because 0 will go to NR. 

You are correct

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DUG said:

I applied 42/44A 1st choice and 27 Rocky 2nd choice.

Be really smart about your choices.  Last year all of the 27 rocky tags went to guys with max in the first hunt and the second hunt was 1:801 odds.  I would have flip flopped those choices first of all.  There is technically a super small chance your number comes up really early in the draw but the 1 NR tag in 42 is taken and then you might might get a second choice.  NR do have lower odds because there has to be two or more tags in a hunt and they are only eligible for one of them whereas a resident is eligible for both of them.  

• Like 2

On 5/31/2023 at 2:48 PM, buglethemin said:

Guys check out Jay Scott’s latest pod cast on the sheep outlook and units. Great info and goes over 22 and quality and the bonus point info. FYI this year G&F increased Desert Sheep by 16. Listen to the podcast great info. 

Also, you get to listen to Jay cry about an increase in sheep tags at least 100 times. More sheep tags = fewer people that will die before they can draw one = conservation projects are working. Way more sheep die of old and lions than hunters. 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Also, you get to listen to Jay cry about an increase in sheep tags at least 100 times. More sheep tags = fewer people that will die before they can draw one = conservation projects are working. Way more sheep die of old and lions than hunters. 

AZ has incredible sheep hunting.  Probably the best in the country for both Rockies and deserts.  I don’t know if another state that produces that high of a percent of both that are bigger than B&C of any species anywhere.  I agree that they are leaving a lot on the table by keeping harvest that minimal.  They could double the sheep tags in the state and still maintain and 6-7 yr old average and most units would still allow a great chance at a 155-160 ram.  The ewes would still get bred.  I don’t know if it would help the draw odds a ton, but I’m sure there’s be another 150 super happy people out there each summer when draw results come out.  NV shoots their rams way harder and it’s still next to impossible to draw a tag so it’s kind of a tough call to make.  

7 hours ago, buglethemin said:

Yes . This is solid advice and exactly what I was going to say about a unit with one tag in it.

12 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Also, you get to listen to Jay cry about an increase in sheep tags at least 100 times. ...

I complained about this too.  Because of quality.  Number of Class IV rams (not) in abundance in several of the units with tag increases.  I'm borderline pissed.

• Like 2