Sign in to follow this  
BigBfever

do mulies RUT or what

I know it's kind of early for the rut but with a full moon and cold mornings I don't understand how I could see a herd of 17 does and not a buck to be found. 28 deer at first light all Does :angry: I had to take my eyes out of the optics a couple times started seeing antler on everything after that first herd. :blink:

just be patient. I've heard of the bigger bucks letting all the younger bucks do all the work of herding does together and when the does come into estrus the bigger bucks will run the smaller bucks off and take over the herd.

Last year I saw a MONSTER muley buck rutting hard in the middle of january. He had a heck of a time keeping the smaller bucks away and keeping the does together. I saw a couple of small groups of does wonder off without him knowing because he was to bussy. This went on all afternoon, nonstop. never saw him stop even for a bite to eat.

just be patient. I've heard of the bigger bucks letting all the younger bucks do all the work of herding does together and when the does come into estrus the bigger bucks will run the smaller bucks off and take over the herd.

Last year I saw a MONSTER muley buck rutting hard in the middle of january. He had a heck of a time keeping the smaller bucks away and keeping the does together. I saw a couple of small groups of does wonder off without him knowing because he was to bussy. This went on all afternoon, nonstop. never saw him stop even for a bite to eat.

X2

I usually see the small guys do all the hard work (round up the does and push them), then i January the big boys come in and kick the little guys out. They just wait until all the work has been done. Pretty dang smart if ya ask me

Mullies do not Rut.

They Clone.

That is why they are not near as smart as Coues.

Take for example:

Casey is a big, slow, floppy eared Buck with no does.

I, being a slim-lined, stealthy type fellow with great looks

have had to fight off does all my life till I could find one who

could help produce the type of offspring we have. (PS takes a pretty good doe ;) )

Here is a picture of me in my younger years.

post-1778-1229126490.jpg

Mullies do not Rut.

They Clone.

That is why they are not near as smart as Coues.

Take for example:

Casey is a big, slow, floppy eared Buck with no does.

I, being a slimed lined, stealthy type fellow with great looks

have had to fight off does all my life till I could find one who

could help produce the type of offspring we have. (PS takes a pretty good doe ;) )

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now thats funny!

I heard that this time of year if the bucks are not chasing does, to hunt the fringe areas close to where the does are at, because those bucks will slip in and out to check if the does are going into cycle or not.

I agree. Little bucks think they are the stuff until the first or second week of Jan. and then then the big boys come out of the wood work and rule. Be patient and you will see.

Will

This past few days I have been seeing herds of 9 to 15 does all with younger bucks following close behind and even bedding close by the does,this has been noticed by myself since the beginning of dec. I have also found bigger herds of whietail does,upwards of 15 to 20 does together. I am in southern AZ.

This was taken last week by trail cam. Look at his neck...I'd say YES they do rut and it is going on up here in the north part of the state. I was actually 21 yards from this guy yesterday, he had his nose right behind a doe. :( Don't ask, I really screwed up!!! :angry:

rutbuck.jpg

So what do you guys think all this rain is going to do for our january desert muley hunts?

Plan A. My spot has dwindled in activity since the last hard rain over thanksgiving and now it getting hit hard again. The plan was to sit the most often used trail about 200 yards off of a tank in a homemade ground blind with a montana decoy and doe in heat scent heavily applied to try and pull rutting bucks in.

Plan B. Not much for elevation in the area but I figure I could walk the extra 2+ miles to get up high enough to glass.

Plan C. Considered tracking the freshest sign in the area and try and follow it to the owner, but I figure odds are against me.

BTW, due to work I can really only hunt on Saturdays and maybe Sunday morning. No quads just my boots. Still thinking I should ride out plan A, do or die. Any of you desert hunters have methods to desert mulies when the weather mixes it up just before the hunt?

There are alot of muleys in the area where I am scouting and I haven't been seeing any chasing, but they are starting to tear up some of the bushes. I did find this nice shed on Saturday. I would like to see how he has grown this year. David

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

nice shed............what unit??????????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: just kidding, I'm still getting a big kick out of DB's post. yeah I've spotted up a couple decent bucks yesterday with some does. just kinda of hanging around haven't really started to chase yet. hopefully soon, still looking for that big guy.