Sign in to follow this  

I have a question for you guys about what you do when you encounter seemingly "lost" hounds on the road or in the woods while out hunting. I have stopped and had them load up in the truck, run away, follow me etc. I have had the owner drive up while standing there wondering what to do so I have made it a policy to just leave them where I find them. I found one today in Klondyke chewing on a deer hide, collared, radio collared, one eye sewed shut and extremely thin. Not just skinny but starved in appearance. My wife gave him the leftovers from her pack and we continued on.

Any input from the houndsmen on here? What do the rest of you guys do?

If the dog looks to be in bad shape and has a phone # on its coller then I would load him up in the truck and give the owner a call. But just remember most hounds are skinny and look half starved.

I have never found hounds, but RedRabbit and I found some bodys GSP one year Mearns hunting. He ran up to us acting scared/worried/confused. I tried to get him over to me to check him out, but all I could do was give him a little water and part of a power bar.

It will be interesting to hear from a houndsman on this. Personally I would probably have taken that dog and then worked on finding the owner. Tough to leave a dog in bad shape. There aren't that many houndsman around and knowing the dog had a sewn up eye should make it easy for the owner to ID it over the phone. My guess is houndsman would prefer someone help their dog if it seemed to need it, but who knows.

Several months ago I saw a couple hound dogs that looked like they were trying to find their way home by trotting along a highway by camp verde. I thought they might have been Grong's dad's dogs, so I called him and let him know about it. They weren't his and they didn't seem to know whose they were....at least the dogs looked in great shape when I last saw them and they were headed toward town, so I figured someone who knew them would find them.

Amanda

We found a dog up in the sipe area who had a name and # on the collar and we tried calling the number and it was disconected. If I was to run hounds I would make sure that I had correct info on the collar.

Well... I won't turn a dog loose without a tracking collar. If I lost track of a dog and it wound up on or near asphalt with a chance of getting run over I would really appreciate if someone picked it up and called me. I keep updated info on all collars, I haven't read one in awhile but I believe it says to call collect. If I have a dog on a dirt road somewhere I am looking for it, and would like it to be left alone. I really puts a damper on finding a dog when the signal on the collar gets farther away and finally gets lost. You never know if someone stole the dog, destroyed the collar, or if you'll ever see your dog again. At the same time, everytime you turn a dog loose you realize that that animal is doing what it was bred for and there is a chance it won't come home alive. So many dangers out there that will take a dog.

Unlike bird dogs that are trained to be in complete control everytime you hunt, big-game dogs are relied on to do "the right things" without a human telling them what to do, and continue doing their lives work until you show up, which can sometimes be hours after they tree or bay their target. I don't have all the answers, just my opinions for what they are worth.

--Bill

lots of hounds will return to the location of the truck. Some will throw an old coat or blanket out on the ground if a dog does not come back to the truck. And when they go back to look the next day that dog just might be laying on that droped cloth.

My dad used to be really into runnin hounds when i was younger and we have lost and stumbled upon dogs many times. The one rule i was ever given was DO NOT pick up a hound unless its got a # on it. All the old timers hated when people picked up their dogs. Granted it is the good samaritan thing to do but i have been drilled not to pick up a lost dog and that the runner has lost a dog before and knows how to find em.

Just my personal experience and couple cents...

Thanks for the input. Their was not a phone number on the collar that was visible or we would have called it. The hound was beside the dirt road next to a steel cattle gaurd about 6 miles southwest of cedar springs on the Klondyke Aravaipa road.

I picked up a Springer Spaniel in the desert one Quail season and the phone number was from Nebraska. I called the number and the mans wife told me where he was staying in town. It was a happy reunion.

Guest 300ultramag.

if they trash alot they could be abandoned.... if it was thin it could have been a runner and dont really have that good of nose so they could potentially be lost me..... personally I would pick up the hound i love hound dogs they are amazing and I guarantee $omeone will be looking for it. but if theres 2 of them dont PET them let em work...

We found a 6 or 7 month old Black and Tan up elk hunting--no tags, no info and she was crapping elk hair for a day and a half--she now belongs to my daughter and i doubt she would give her back. We posted ads in the paper and posted a found pup on the Long Valley Gas Station--no one called. She is an awesome pup.

lots of hounds will return to the location of the truck. Some will throw an old coat or blanket out on the ground if a dog does not come back to the truck. And when they go back to look the next day that dog just might be laying on that droped cloth.

+1, IF there is a number might give a call if you have service. If not, just leave him be it will all work out and be back with the owner eventually.

-Jeremy-

Leave the dog alone, it maybe a few days but he'll be found. Don't take a dog looking for a reward either, have some ethics. I think everyone has had a dog taken some time or another and usualy it sucks. You end up driving all over and looking for a dog for days just to find out he's in some house in Phx days later when you get a phone call. Tracking collars are on the dogs for a reason, if the dog doesn't have a tracking collar try the number but in a reasonable time frame.

my buddy hunts lions, and if he ever loses a dog, he'll leave a dog box with some food and water at it, and he'll come back in a couple days and the dog will always be there when he comes back, unless someone finds it and picks it up, and they'll call him cause his name and # are on all his dogs.