Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Jonathan

Reccomend any good books for me?

Guys: THANKS! Hopefully I'll get a start on this list over my break from the university. This looks like a lot of really good stuff, I'm definitely on the right track here.

Guest 300ultramag.
Amanda asked me to stop by and make a few suggestions. I assume you're basically interested in nonfiction rather than fictional novels, so...

I see Bill already recommended Capstick & Ruark, which would have been on my list, especially if you enjoy reading about Africa.

You might want to read a few of Jack O'Connor's books on hunting. Below is a complete list of ALL his books in chronologial order. Some are hard to find, but Amazon and other web sites often have readable used copies. You can probably also find a few in your local library.

Also, you can read what he had to say about Coues deer in The Deer Hunter's Book, which was put together by Lamar Underwood. Look for Portrait of a Coues Deer on page 15.

Conquest: A Novel of the Old West (1930)

Boom Town: A Novel of the Southwestern Silver Boom (1938)

Game in the Desert (1939) First published by Derrydale Press in a limited edition of 950 numbered copies, this was reprinted in a 1945 trade edition, with a new preface, under the title Hunting in the South West. In 1977, Amwell Press reissued the book in a limited edition of 950 copies. This version reverted to the original title and included a substantial introduction by O'Connor.

Hunting in the Rockies (1947)

Sporting Guns (1947)

The Rifle Book (1949)

Hunting With a Binocular (1949)

Sportsman's Arms and Ammunition Manual (1952)

The Big-Game Rifle (1952)

Jack O'Connor's Gun Book (1953)

The Outdoor Life Shooting Book (1957)

The Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns (1961) An updated excerpt from this book was later published as 7-Lesson Rifle Shooting Course.

The Big Game Animals of North America (1961)

Jack O'Connor's Big Game Hunts (1963) Consists of 26 stories reprinted from Outdoor Life.

The Shotgun Book (1965)

The Art of Hunting Big Game in North America (1967)

Horse and Buggy West: A Boyhood on the Last Frontier (1969) Autobiographical.

The Complete Book of Shooting (1969)

The Hunting Rifle (1970)

Rifle and Shotgun Shooting Basics (1970)

Sheep and Sheep Hunting (1974)

Game in the Desert Revisited (limited edition of 1,000 copies in 1977, trade edition in 1984)

The Best of Jack O'Connor (1977)

The Hunter's Shooting Guide (1978)

Hunting Big Game (1979)

The Last Book: Confessions of an Outdoor Gun Editor (1984) Published posthumously, this autobiography is at times scathing in its frankness and fascinating for the insight it offers into the world of outdoor writing.

Hunting on Three Continents With Jack O'Connor (1987)

Where have u been... You havent been on here for quite sometime! We need some more wisdom on this site and u have always been so well spoken......