Sign in to follow this  
crazyaboutcoues

@$#^%&*@ Camera thieves

Well I just joined the " I got my trail camera stolen" club :angry:

Didn't think it would ever happen to me because of the country I hunt is really not that easy to get too. It looked like the camera was just ripped from the tree, the strings that held it on were still there but the camera was gone. I thought maybe a bear might have taken it but I couldn't find any bear sign.

On a good note I found several scrapes on a small ridge leading to the water source. and very large scrape that has been hit by several bucks. I put a trail cam on it yesterday, I hope this one doesn't get poached. ;)

Bummer about your cam.....

One of the things I like about these new smaller cams is that they are easier to hide. The little scoutguard/covert I cams can be set on the ground and covered with litter or hidden in a rock pile. People tend to look for cams on trees, but setting them on the ground can still get your pics and are perhaps less likely to be noticed.

Amanda

Sorry about the camera Tommy. It boils my blood to think of thieves.

I've heard of people catching thieves on another cam of theirs that the jerk didn't see, AND making a positive ID :D.

Welcome to the club :angry: I think I'm up to 4 stolen and 2 destroyed. Nothing is worse than a dirty theif!

Setting and checking trail cams used to be a hobby that my three boys and I enjoyed. Since the out break of thefts over the last year or so I've pretty much had to stop all together. Seems like even when I hike in off roads or trails some rat bastard still finds them and takes them.

hello - Anytime your gear gets stolen it's a bummer. It not only spoils the adventure but can get quite expensive! I think the idea of setting up a second cam to take pictures of posible theives is a good idea! ID'n these people may prove to be a problem but maybe a special - have you seen this guy post might do it !

I think the new cams Amanda mentioned and how she likes to hide them is a great idea!

I regularly see cameras bolted to trees, especially before elk season .Just about every water hole had 1-2. Most were easy to find. Saw a few in the metal lock boxes.

I have a close friend who actually had thieves steal the memory cards out of the cameras -less expensive but still a bummer!

Good luck in the future ! Gary

Tommy,

Sorry to hear about that. I have been real lucky so far when I get the time to put them out. Not sure exactly where you had the camera, but there was a thread on here last year about a guy who had a camera stolen in the same area you are hunting. He did actually catch a picture of the guy on a second camera he had up but refused to post the pics of the thief. Makes you wonder if it aint the same guy.

jeff

Oh well, those are the chances we take when we set them up. good thing about it is it was a cheaper moultree cam

Jeff My camera was set up by the "dam" you guys built last year. Have you had a chance to look at the "dam" lately ?It silted up from the monsoon rains. :blink:

Yeah i did make it out there a couple of times to take a look at it this fall. Sure did silt in. After talking with the forest service I guess that is one of the goals of that kind of dam. Initially it holds just water and after a while it silts in up to the height of the dam. The good thing is that the dam is tied into that bed rock on both sides and the bottom so it is also retaining all the moisture coming down the creek, just will probably be underground most of the time. The dam will hold back erosion and with the water being held back the ground should sprout up lots of grass and seeps, perfect for the turkey and deer. I just need to get the F.S. to fix that old fence all the way around to keep out all of those cattle.

jeff

Man that really blows I wish there were something to do to stop these guys. Heres an idea I have been tossing around in my head. I used to work as a welder for a number of years and have come up with some ideas. Maybe some other people have come up with some similar ideas lets hear them. Lots of people use straps to hold their cams to trees. My idea is to find some way to use bike chains not the kind to lock up a bike but the kind on the pedals. They are still pretty flexible and nobody with a pocket knife is going to be able to walk off with them. Then the other obvious idea is to mount them into a metal box. This could allow for everything to be locked up. Both ends of the bike chain would be able to wrap around a tree and lock up inside the metal box and I think it could be adjustable so it wouldn't be limited to one size tree. Just a couple ideas I have. If anyone needs help to try and "steal proof" there cams let me know I'd be willing to help out if I can.

David