Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

First Weekend in Mexico

Was in Mexico this past weekend with a number of fellow members of the site. The trip down went great! We had no problems checking our guns in at both the Mexican Customs or with the Military and arrived to meet the rancher at the exact time specified. With much excitement we set out for our first morning hunt only to find a fresh lion kill in the middle of the road. The rancher had driven the road the day before so knew it had to be from the night before - there are more details that I will let some of the other guys fill in. Due to some extremely high winds we didn't see too many bucks the first few days but were able to find enough to keep our interest and excitement up. Here are a few pictures. One great buck was seen but I don't have pictures of him so one of the others will need to post them up. I was fortunate enough to capture a pretty intense buck fight on camera. Twice the bigger buck flipped the small buck but I wasn't fortunate enough to capture that on tap. Hope you enjoy...

Guy's please add some more detail...

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/sco...xico1215040.flv

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/sco...xico1215048.flv

post-1361-1229571442_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1229571476_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1229571538_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1229571565_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1229571594_thumb.jpg

post-1361-1229571640_thumb.jpg

awesome video. thanks for sharing it. looks like they were on a pretty steep slope. i'd rather watch home made video like that than the discovery channel any day.

I had a great time with Larry and the guys and can't wait to get back down there. I missed a really nice buck that Rut had glassed up for me that I'll be looking forward to finding in January. Here are a couple of pics of him. Sorry the pictures aren't really clear but we were a long ways off at this point and these are thru the spotter off of a video camera. I sent some trail cam pics to Larry so maybe he'll have time to post some of them.

post-216-1229620850.jpg

post-216-1229620727.jpg

Phil

all things considered - we had a great weekend. phil had a chance at a really big buck and wasn't able to connect. we were on a ranch that none of us had ever hunted before. this was a self-guided hunt. the moon on thursday night did not help out the glassing friday morning and then the wind blew in friday afternoon and blew very, very hard for 2.5 days. monday was a very nice day but tuesday morning had us locked down in a fog bank for 1.5 hours. by the time it cleared, everything had bedded down for the morning.

the picture of the bedded buck had double split eye guards. you can see the split on the right eye guard but not the one on the left. the one on the left is actually a 2 - 3 inch fork.

more to come in mid jan.

He looked a lot like the lion kill. Lots of mass but not much in tine length. Chris measured the lion kill at 97"+ I would guess this guy is around 90". Phil put the big one he found at around 115"

Bad thing is we think there are at least 3 lions working the ranch. Caught what looked like one big Tom and one female hitting the same tank.