JACK

The Hunters became...

Well I think we may need to officialy change the name of this website to: CouesWhitetailandLions.com ;)

Another coues hunter will hunt no longer....

Lionandcoyotes016.jpg

Headed down to the secret unit 36C Friday morning...saw a coueswhitetail.com sticker on the way down (White Ford had a muley crazy sticker too) so it was going to have be a good day...right? Hiked in about two and half miles to "my spot" Glassed up twenty or so deer...it was around 11:00 I got up streched my legs, watered a tree and was thinking about taking a little nap when I saw this old gal crusing down below me. Put the glasses on her WOW they always look HUGE with that orange and white glow...I am super excited and shaking pretty bad as I fumble around with everything I own finally get set up and range her 407. She climbs up on a rock and stands there...perfect!...except there is an ocotillo I have to shoot through...I pick an opening and BOOM! Felines are pretty acrobatic when you hit them...she flips off the rock runs about forty yards and lays down under a mesquite. I can see alot of blood but she is still up...BOOM! This time it sounds like i hit a watermelon WHOOP! It was a done deal! I got my first lion :rolleyes:

She was standing on the rock on the right and I shot from the ridge in the backround

Lionandcoyotes009.jpg

The first shot ended up hitting two ocotillo branches...good thing I shoot a big gun and the Berger still had enough left. It was a little far back and would have been fatal and the second just sped up the process a bit.

Lionandcoyotes011.jpg

And I am no expert but to me it looks like she used her teeth way too much when they were new!...I am curious to see how old she is when I check her in. She was in pretty poor shape ribs and backbone were visable and eyes were kinda cloudy...probably did her a favor

Lionandcoyotes018.jpg

So I mess around take a bunch of pictures get her skinned out all that good stuff. Then head out and figured I would take it slow and kinda still hunt back to the truck. End up seeing like ten more does and some javelinas but the sun is down and still I have a pretty good hike to the truck. Just as I stand up to leave a pack of coyotes start yipping down below me...I couldn't resist I heard them callin all day. I dig out my call get set up blow on it for about thirty second and four of them come boiling up out of the wash. Two go behind a little hill and two stop at the bottom of the hill around 200 yards...BOOM!...dust flies coyote takes off...dang it I missed...the other one crosses a wash and is at a slow trot BOOM! WHOOP! no doubt about that one. Head down to check him out and decide to look around where I shot the first one...yeah blood everywhere...follow the blood and the two coyotes are laying about thiry yards apart! It was awsome kinda felt like a one man wrecking crew :lol

Lionandcoyotes024.jpg

Look triplets..who knew!

Lionandcoyotes025.jpg

Wait I am not finished yet...Friday night I meet up with my buddy Aaron (MARV). We drink a cowboy soda pop tell stories and check out my lion. And now he feels left out and wants one too. We joke around about how cool it would be to kill two lions in one weekend...Well that almost happened! Saturday morning we get to where we are going to glass...start glassing and literally I put the glasses up pan over and there is another lion!...are you freakin kidding me! I show Aaron he gets set up and I take a few pictures through the binos...We range him 1017 yards...yikes...turn the scope up 15 minutes BOOM...hits 6 or 8" over his back and out of sight he goes...we almost had a double! Ended up seeing around thirty deer it was a good day and great weekend.

Here is a pic of the second lion

Lionandcoyotes027.jpg

...and hopfully we catch back up with this lion and a couple big ol bucks after Christmas!!

Wow seeing those stickers sure was lucky. That is a great day that will live with you forever.Congrats on a great trophy. That must be an old warrioir of a cat.Nice picture of the lion on the rock.

Frickin' Fantastic!!! ;) That is a Big Female she will make a nice mount! Great story!! Awesome pics!! Congrats on an outstanding weekend!! That is an Wicked Triple.... you dang sure helped the deer herd in there! Good Mojo.... now your gunna smoke a Monster buck in there! Best of luck.

I'd love to know more about that Berger bullet on the first shot.... I have been wondering, if you had worry about them "blowing up" if they touched somthing prior to impact?? Also, I'd love to see pics of what they did to the coyotes... I have a few Deer impacted berger pics that I can share as well. Thanks.

That is one old cat, you probably did do her a favor. She was getting to the point that someone was going to have to chew her food for her.

--Bill

Frickin' Fantastic!!! ;) That is a Big Female she will make a nice mount! Great story!! Awesome pics!! Congrats on an outstanding weekend!! That is an Wicked Triple.... you dang sure helped the deer herd in there! Good Mojo.... now your gunna smoke a Monster buck in there! Best of luck.

I'd love to know more about that Berger bullet on the first shot.... I have been wondering, if you had worry about them "blowing up" if they touched somthing prior to impact?? Also, I'd love to see pics of what they did to the coyotes... I have a few Deer impacted berger pics that I can share as well. Thanks.

I didn't take any wound pictures I am very happy with the Bergers so far. I am shooting 185s out of my 300 RUM...Can't say how much hittin the ocotillos affected the bullet impact or performance but it nearly severed the hind get away stick when it hit her...it was just hangin on by a one inch piece of skin and the second shot hit her in the spine and never exited...the bottom coyote wasn't too bad just in and out but the top one was a mess to say the least....they have performed well for me so far! no complaints

Here are a few more pictures where you can see how skinny she was...ribs backbone shoulder blades were pretty visable and alot of loose skin...I am sure she had tasted her fair share of deer meat over the years but it looks like it may had been a while...She is around 7 1/2' nose to tail and she MAYBE weighted 80lbs at the very most...

Lionandcoyotes006.jpg

Lionandcoyotes007.jpg

Wow! What an awesome day, you will remember it forever! Congrats..

What were you shooting? 15 minutes at 1000 yards... thats a flat shooter. Only missing by 6 - 8 inches is awesome shooting a that distance in the field.. nice!

Wow, what a great day for you. That's awesome getting a lion and 2 yotes in the same day.

Wow! What an awesome day, you will remember it forever! Congrats..

What were you shooting? 15 minutes at 1000 yards... thats a flat shooter. Only missing by 6 - 8 inches is awesome shooting a that distance in the field.. nice!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 30-378 , might could get that with a pet load and the bergers in 300 rum , course it all depends on where your zero is before you give it another 15 minutes .

Nice cat for sure - I wonder how many deer that girl has eaten over the years? Pics show just what a supreme predator the mountain lion really is..

Thanks for sharing! I say keep visiting the secret spot... :ph34r:

AzP&Y