Sign in to follow this  
newbee

shafts

I ve been shooting CARB X"s for asome time now though I have had good luck with them Ive been thinking of trying some thing new- Preferably an arrow that makes the deer come right to you and offer a 20 yrd broad side shot- :lol:

or one that is fairly consistant...

I just switched to carbons this season and got away from what my buddies call the "telephone poles" so I figured I would start out with something cheap. I bought a dozen of the Bass Pro Shops (Redhead) carbons for $39.99/dz and so far I really like them, the straightness is the same as the big $ arrows and the fletching is a heavy gauge and glued on the shaft well. Can't really see paying too much more for a hunting shaft, I would rather put the $ saved towards a tag purchase or gas in the ol Yota!

I still shoot alum. But plan on changing after Javilina season. I'm glad you posted this because I too am confused about which arrow I should buy. One of my buddies shoots some cheap carbon arrows that only have the weight on them, and my other buddy shoots those new PSE carbon arrows. They both seem to fly great. So I'm guessing it's just what you like?

I've heard really good things about the new Axis shafts from Easton, but I too still shoot my trusty old telephone poles (xx78 2317). Thinking of switching this spring when I dust off my bow :lol:

I shoot the carbons have for some time. They sure don't last very long.

PackHorse. I may have already asked you this but were you down in 35A last Monday. somdbody gave me a ride toward the road. I blew up a tire adn the lugs were stripped so I was hoofing it. If was you thanks for the help.

GN

I have shot for about three years now and love them. The only drawback is if they break in a animal,you have to cut the meat away in that area so you do not get the carbon fibers in your gut.

Noel Arnold

I've shot ACC's for 7 years and like them the most. they have a little more diameter than carbon which makes them easy to fletch and tune to my rest. I think in the 7 years I've only broken 3 arrow's. I also have one arrow which is responsible for 6 kills.

I've had great luck with the Beeman ICS 400's. They shoot great out of my bow, aren't too expensive, and have blown right through every javalina I've shot with them. I've shot pigs with aluminum arrows from the same distance that did not pass through the animal. I use Thunderhead 100 gr. broadheads.

Pack Horse

At some point you will probably wander past me and my truck. Of late I have had great success blowing out front right tires. This last event ended with stripped lugs courtesy fo the tire guy who put the new on eon. i had a great time finding a cell signal. Once I did it was a real treat guiding the guy from Luna's in Amado to me. If your ever stuck in 36 call Luna's. Honest family hard working people and they don't cheat ya!

As for the arrows I am really considering the aluminum tree limbs again my carbon seems to crack a lot more then those old aluminim Eastons.

GN

Gnoto, sounds like your shootin the wrong carbons. i shot at a rabbit with one of my new PSE Radial X Weaves this weekend, missed, hit a boulder dead on and my arrow was just fine. been shootin carbons for 3 yrs. now and i'll never go back to broomsticks.

I've broke two arrows so far, one on a rock and one on the steel rafters at work when I shot a pigeon. The javelina I shot this year is the first "big" thing I've shot with these carbons and it blew right through the shoulder and out the other side, I could hear the arrow clanking on rocks as it exited the javelina but it never hurt it.

I dropped around 70 grains of weight by switching and have increased my velocity, my arrows are still 475 grains but are moving around 270-280 fps (I haven't chrono'd it in a while) I was shooting XX78 2315 super slams and now I can buy 2 dozen Redhead carbons for the price of 1 dz Easton alum. I may be wrong but I can't imagine there being $40 or $50 worth difference in performance

between carbon shafts. Alot of the cracking problems may have to do with how the shafts are cut, if a high speed saw (8000rpm) is not used to cut the carbon it will create a ragged and split surface and when the shaft impacts something it will split.

Hey, in my experience the straightness does play a factor but what helps out the most is the consistency of the weight of the arrow. Just remember, if you are shooting less than 60 yds you won't notice the difference.

I pratice out to 80 yards... I would never take a shot that long but after shooting 80yards all day the 40 yard shots feel easy... I think some people call it doubling... practicing at twice the hunting distance..

jason

;)