Sign in to follow this  
newbee

shafts

I completely agree with jason, I practice to 80-90 yard often. this makes looking at and picking a spot at 40 yards seem easy. also if you can hold steady at 80 think how easy it is not to waver at 40. Also if you have the ability practice at different angles to the target and unknown yardage..

I am shooting Carbon Express Terminator hunters 4560's, have shot them at about everything, still have them unbroken and still ready to rock, good practice is hunting quial and jackrabbits

PS... I shot Beman Matrix arrows.... They are the Beman equivalent to Easton ACC's... they were discontinued so I pick up a few dozen for $50/dz

jason

;)

It is very important to know your limitations when hunting. Personally I have no buisness shooting at a deer sized animal at more than 50 yards, 40 yards for a javie. I wil agree with the above posts that practice at longer ranges will definately make you a better shot at hunting distances. It is also important to practice alot. Some guys go out a week before the season, fling a few arrows and call it good. Those are the same guys that miss and wound game more often than not.

I still have 1/2 a dozen of my origional beamans from about 10 years ago, the old style ones with outserts and out nocks. I still have some of my origional CX300's from 5 years ago. They are now rabbit arrows because I have shot the spline out of them(it only took about 10,000 shots each!). I am very impressed with the carbons today, they are straighter, stronger, and more consistant than ever. I have recently switched to Gold Tip 5575 XT shafts because of the durability, and if they do break they dont splinter as bad, usually a clean break.

GMM

I shoot the Gold Tip 5575 as well and am very happy with them, only had one break and that was while it was stuck in a bull elk...still did the job and it was a very clean break. I think the value is outstanding.

Right now I'm shooting Axis 300's out of my bow. These arrows shoot great, penetrate awesome, and have pretty good arrow to arrow consistency. Like I stated before, past 60 yds is where you see the difference. As stated earlier, if you're shooting long range in practice those closer shots seem like a chip shot so at the moment of truth you are thinking about aiming instead of whether or not you're actually going to make a good shot.