Sign in to follow this  
creed_az_88

coues deer on the san pedro

I have never seen a buck on this river but i usually see a doe standing off the side of the road when i drive by. My uncle has a humungous 5 pt shed found on the river. I think it was found aroun St. David. I found a skull but it looked like the horns had fallen out or someone pulled them out. It was weird. I've never seen anything like it. Have you guys ever hunted it or seen any deer here?

Creed

I was raised there. You can not hunt the san pedro it is a rapirian area.

( spelling :lol: ). Some of the biggest bucks I have seen in my life have been on that river. What you need to do is find someone that has some hay fields along the river. When the bucks come in ithe evening you can shoot them because they are out of the river. You do not get much shooting window befor it is to dark. You should spotlight some of those fields if you want to see big bucks.

Who is your uncle. Is he from down there..

Creed,

I hunt 30B regularly and have seen the largest WT deer on the river banks or near there. As stated before there are some areas that are not open to hunting by rifle(according to the BLM: area south of the Charleston bridge all the way down to Herfford is closed to firearms). Key here is, "rifle", but everywhere else is open to archery from Mexico to St.David. Last I checked this is still the case, but check with the BLM first. One of the largest buck I have had the chance to shoot at was at the "River". Very large bodied 4 point brown/tan buck with great mass and not too bad of a 3 point as his buddy. The area is very thick with foilage, esp. catclaw and some alamo riparian veggie. Have found that the area around Tombstone and west to the "River" is good for WT also. Also, don't hunt alone in that region for obvious reasons....Anywho, best of luck to you and keep that info on the DL. :lol:

Ernest

Yes hush hush.

Thanks guys. It is good to know that there is good people willing to give out their best info to help another guy out. I thank you. My uncle's name is Vince Waters. He lives in Elfrida and he said he tried a couple of times to stalk the big 5 pt but the deer stayed where there was not a whole lot of cover and he could not get very close.

Creed

I have spent some time chasing them around with my bow on the river and have seen some really impressive bucks there. My in-laws live on the river above Pomerene and have seen quite a few moving through the trees. Really thick brush though.

When the whole hunting party/family votes on where to hunt we end up applying at 32 for mulies. I have always quessed that lots of deer would come from the hills in 32 to go water at the san pedro river. Every year we say were going to check this out but don't for some reason or another.

With out giving to much away, would it be worth finding a good crossing point to go sit on for the day?? Or maybe it doesn't work that way??

Thanks anyway

B)