Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Which Brand and Model to Buy

Redman;

I am no expert but I shopped a long time before buying my current bow. I checked all the ultra-fast, ultra-short, ultra-quiet bows that had come out at the time. But I have to say I have not been disappointed in the Parker bow I bought nor have any of the two other people I know who have bought them. They are quiet, close to 300 fps, and fairly light. Most of all they are reliable! In the price range you are considering you can get a package that comes with quiver, arrows, sight, rest,and release, tuned and sighted in for 20 yards when you pick it up. The thing that has amazed me about mine is that I have never had to retune it in two seasons. Every time I pull it out to shoot it shoots exactly where it did when I shot it last. They aren't the hot-rods of the archery world but I love the way they are put together.

couesdiehard

I shoot a Martin Cougar 4 and I love it. I am a taller person and I really like the longer axle length. This helps me to balance and it also seems to shoot my Easton Axis arrows super fast.

I shoot a KodiakOutdoors Bowlogic 36. My buddy who shoots a PSE really likes my bow, but then don't we all like the newest rifle/bow our buddies get. Especially when ours is a year or two old :rolleyes:

I did not go with their rest and sights, but you can get it as a kit with sights and a dropaway rest for around $700.

I picked it becasue it felt good to me and is light. I shot a Mathews Outback (Heavy and fat grip), Hoyt Xtec (almost got it) and a PSE (can't remember which one, but really quiet). They are all great shooters. The KO just felt the best to me.

Mathews and Hoyt are more expensive if that is a limitng factor. Although the reflex bows are similar to Hoyt (same company)

I'm not a fan of short axles bows, just never felt right to me.

Bottom line is shoot a few and pick.

I forgot to add that KodiakOutdoors is located in Tempe. The bows are currently made in CA, but I understand that they are moving the manufacturing to Tempe as well.

Everyone has already said it but I will say it again...shoot as many as you can and pick the one that fits you the best (price and physically). I now shoot a BowTech Liberty and love it...quiet, smooth, and it just fits right. I have shot PSE for eight years with no complaint but I won't go back because shooting has never been so fun as it is with my new bow. Once you shoot the bow that is right for you...you will know it!

The only reason I say forget PSE is because #1 I didn't like their grips. and #2 we replaced more cracked limbs from PSE than any other bow. This was 5 yrs ago or so and I haven't kept up to date on the new models so they might have changed.

My opinion:

Out of the three manufacturers you listed I would pick PSE. PSE makes good bows and their customer service is great. I have become friends with several people associated with PSE and can tell you they are sincere with taking care of their customers. I've been in many "friendly" shoots against those boys and their bows were always impressive.

I also have shot most brands. In my opinion high country used to be the best. they were fast and smooth. but about 7 years ago mathews left everybody behind, and they are still trying to catch up. the last bow I bought was a mathews 3 1/2 years ago. it is buy far the best I have ever shot. If you have a mathews that is not quiet then something is very wrong. I have had 4 pse bows and my back up is a pse. I do not thing they are a very good bow. lots of work to get them quiet, and to tune. not a smooth draw. But I will agree they have great customer service. I have my back up because I had one of their bows blow up. All it took was 1 call, send the bow in and they sent me a NEW bow top of the line at the time and new rest. this was on a 6 year old bow. But still all in all it can't compair to my mathews...Also if you do buy a pse go to the factory and shoot them all. and also look at last years models and save big bucks...

I first want to say thank you all for your advice.

Starting this weekend I am going to look at bows at differnt shops here in Tucson. I would like to look and shoot as many brands and models as possible.

I have been visiting ebay and there are some good deals. I have also been to Archerytalk.com and there is alot of info there.

Thanks Again,

Redman

I first want to say thank you all for your advice.

Starting this weekend I am going to look at bows at differnt shops here in Tucson. I would like to look and shoot as many brands and models as possible.

I have been visiting ebay and there are some good deals. I have also been to Archerytalk.com and there is alot of info there.

Thanks Again,

Redman

I'd stay away from e-bay. B) Just because you don't know why they are selling those bows. Even though they say, they are getting out of it, or just bought a new one, you don't know if that bow has been dryfired or not.

Following up on my post, I purchased the AR34. I shot four differnt bows in my quest. All shot great, I really liked the Bowtech, but the price had alot to do with my choice. I got the AR for $250 less (bow only) plus customer service goes a long way with me. The folks at PSE are top notch (not that any other shops were not).

Thanks for the help,

Redman

AR is a good bow. Made by PSE with great care into each bow. Nobody really makes a bad bow anymore, even the bottom line is better than the top of the line bows from even just 3 to 4 years ago. AR is one of the top of the line bows and I think you will be happy with it. Like was stated before PSE has had issues in the past with limbs and still have a little trouble, but havent seen much in cracked limbs recently, but check them regularly. I think the minimum arrow wheight for AR is 5.5 grains per pound of draw (I could be wrong) but I would try to keep it a little higher, 7 grains is enough. I have been shooting for nearly 20 years and owned a few PSE bows without a problem, so I would be willing to bet your AR is trouble free. The AR 34 was in my top 3 bows when I was looking to buy one this past year, but I bought a Mathews Outback for the smoothness, and how forgiving it is. Remember to have it tuned after 200 to 300 shots so the string gets broke in good, then hav it checked every so often, and it should be trouble free, and perform at its max.

GMM

I shoot a Martin Cougar 4 and I love it.  I am a taller person and I really like the longer axle length.  This helps me to balance and it also seems to shoot my Easton Axis arrows super fast.

Are you sure it was a Cougar 4?

martin cougars are the way to go.have the 2000 @ 2003 they shoot smooth and rarely get out of tune.my 2000 have shot close to 10,000 arrows @ over 20 animals with no faults between that a scott release and montana black gold sight almost unstoppable. mike