This might turn into a Nuke thread... but if we all stick to the FACTS as to what has worked for us in the past, including tempatures, time, hit location angle of impact, etc. etc. We as a group may be able to help other guys in the future not make the same mistake that we have done or seen... allowing them to recover more game.   I have personally helped in the harvest and recovery of nearly 25 coues deer since 2001, for myself, family and friends. It does not make me an expert, but I have learned from successes as well as failures over the years. I thought rather than writing a book we could pin a thread and colletively add over time things that will aid guys in what to do next. Again this has to be a possitve ONLY thread.... hang your "ethics police" hat by the door on the way in.   Thanks in advance if this works and Amanda (and Hall Monitors ) Please nuke this thread if it goes wrong.     I'm gunna throw my $.02 at a thread that I saw a week or so here about a potential gut shot.....   My personal window of succes on gut shots has been waiting at least 8-12 hours or longer. My reason for this is that in thick country and no blood trail if you "bump" a wounded animal once, he is gone forever. (Of course this would be different in open country and I hope someone will post about that.) We have never lost meat on deer that we left and did not bump. Once you bump them, you often times will not find them before some meat loss occurs. Again.... this is in thick country with temp highs no more that 50-55 degrees and lows near freezing. Note: this also applys for me when rifle hunting.   Hope this works! Thanks!