Redman

AZ Hunt/Fish Fees

Looks like the final nail is in the cofin for new fees for hunting and fishing.

Update: Feb. 9, 2005 at 6:15 p.m.

Senate Bill 1365 received unanimous approval today by the Arizona Senate Natural Resources and Rural Affairs Committee. The bill will next be assigned to the Arizona Senate Rules Committee for technical verification.

Update: Feb. 8, 2005 at 3:30 p.m.

The Arizona Game and Fish Commission on Feb. 7 decided to recommend a provision be added to Senate Bill 1365 that license fees cannot be increased by more than 50 percent of the proposed fee cap during the first year of implementation.

Update: Feb. 3, 2005 at 5 p.m.

The Arizona Game and Fish Commission on Feb. 3 voted to recommend the following amendments to Senate Bill 1365 relating to hunting and fishing fees.

No more than five percent of all deer and elk tags may be priced at the premium level and no less than 95 percent of all deer and elk tags may be priced at the regular level.

Proposed Statutory Maximum

Regular Hunt Premium Hunt

Deer Res $50 $150

Nonres $325 $1200

Elk Res $150 $350

Nonres $775 $3200

- The disparity between resident and nonresident guide fees is abolished.

- The taxidermist fee cap is increased from $65 to $250.

When are these new fee changes effective?

I feel that this maybe the beginng of the end, HOPEFULLY I am wrong.

<_<

please pass the pepto bismal!!

Just think, now that I probably will not buy a nonresident tag in AZ this year due to the increase(if it is as bad as I think it will be) in tag fees, USO will have one less person to compete with for their guided whitetail hunts. This should open the door for USO to step in and take all those nonresident tags that are not going to be applied for by the average Joe since they cant afford it anymore. Too bad it is the average guy who likes to slip across to AZ and hunt those whitetailed beauties who will pay. Oh well I guess it really depends on how much they raise the tags this year when they finally publish the fees for 2005.

Welcome to AZ , the 2ND Home of USO outfitters. AG

this is the max it can go to over 10 years. from what i've read, probly no change this year. personally, i've felt that the real good deer and elk permits have been way underpriced for a long time. the foot dr. probly won't agree. the better elk hunts in new mex have been $750 for years. and there ain't a unit or hunt in the whole state that i'd rather have than even a late bull tag in the white mt's. in Az. $3200 is kinda steep, but if you don't get drawn, you get the money back and if you do get drawn you have a heck of a permit in your pocket. it's gonna be a hard deal on some and i sincerely hope that not one person doesn't apply because of the cost. i know a lot of folks from fairly humble financial status that really look forward to deer season and it'll be a cryin' shame if they don't apply. but by far, most of the folks i know will bite the bullet and ante up, hoping for that good permit. i know i will. glad my kids'r growed tho. might all o' hadta growed up with no shoes and crooked teeth so pops could hunt. save up a little and go huntin'. it's still cheaper than gamblin' or drinkin' or hotrods or any other manly pursuits. Lark.

It looks like hunting is going to be a rich mans sport. I would like for the top dogs of the Game and Fish to explain how it can cost so much more money to run the dep. in one year. I can see little increases,but not like this.

Noel

lark,

I agree that AZ has underpriced its elk hunts, for deer it is on par with NM, for elk it is much cheaper( was much cheaper!). I can see raising the fees so there is parity with the neighboring states but they are getting extreme with the elk tags. The deer tag cost for non resident will increase nearly 65%, that is a large jump. Now if they raise it over a period of years and adjust for 3% inflation rate that is fair, but Government agencies have this strange way of saying and promising one thing and then doing the complete opposite.

AG

I would bet the prices will be 50% of the amount posted this year and the full price next year. Since the G&F is claiming they are losing $$ why would they wait????

Redman

Dear Fatfootdoc

"USO will have one less person to compete with for their guided whitetail hunts"

As much as I hate USO, the the non-resident cap never applied to whitetail hunts"

Redman

Dear Fatfootdoc

"USO will have one less person to compete with for their guided whitetail hunts"

As much as I hate USO, the the non-resident cap never applied to whitetail hunts"

Redman

That was not my point, my point was they typically guide non resident hunters and more of the average joe non residents will not apply now due to the hunting fees taking a steep jump, and this will create more tag opportunities(less competition) for the USO hunters who really don't care about tag fees. AG

FFD,

I agree. The increased fees (if they jump a lot) will discourage out of state relatives and friends from just putting in and tying that to a visit.

Waht better reason to visit with family. or friends, than a reasonably priced hunt?

Beginning of the end....

I remember a time when they said if we raise the price of cigarettes people would stop smoking. Well everybody I knew then that smoked are still smoking now. We always find a way to overcome the higher prices and fit it into our lifestyle. Look at the price of our trucks now. Four years ago I was driving an 89 blazer with now payment and then decided to buy an extracab that cost me $400.00 a month. I thought man thats alot of money each month, but then four months later I wanted the crewcab HD even more so I traded in the other truck and found a way to spend $625.00 a month. I hate paying it, but I always come up with the money each month. I hate to say this, but this just might help us with draw odds and better deer population. I do know in about five years it will really cost me alot when my two boys are old enough to go with me, but hey I will find a way (blood donation) to pay the fees. David

You better just sell your kids, your truck and your house, because hunting is becoming a rich mans sport. You made a conscious decision to pay more for your trucks because you wanted to, would you pay exorbitant amounts for 4 days in the woods to hunt deer. Think seriously about it because for now it is the non residents, you are next. AG

This subject has been hit pretty hard lately. Arizona residents and non-residents wanting to hunt here have got off so easy in the past, it's a joke IMO. A resident deer permit goes for $17.50 plus app. fee, I can buy a case of dogstyle beer for that amount, maybe even some good stuff, not sure I'm not a big drinker. A non-resident deer permit goes for $ 108.50 plus app. fee, that's 5-6 cases of dogstyle.

The point is place a little more value on these beautiful deer that we love to pursue, more than a few cases of beer. I think they deserve it. No, I'm not in favor of pricing the average joe out of the market and if the extra cash goes to help the wildlife managers better manage the wildlife, and allows them to spend more time out in the field, catch more poachers etc., etc. I'm all for it. If however the extra cash goes to line the pockets of the director his assistant director and their co-conspirator beaurocrat cronies, I say screw them.