Sign in to follow this  
azyota

357 ammo for pigs

My father and I put in for the HAM hunt and I'm going to let him carry my 357. I have never hunted with a pistol before, so I don't know what's a good choice for pigs. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Pat

125 gr. Jacketed Hollow point. It has worked for me six times so far and have not lost one yet. Several one shot kills out to 40 yards. ;)

+1 i shot my first one when i was 13 with a 357 at 35 yards. Any quality jacketed hollow point will lay em out. Pretty much any round you would use for self defense will have good qualities. Corbon's will make a nasty hole.

I like the cor-bons alot, but have just purchased some of the Hornady 140gr leverevolution bullets to shoot out of my Winchester, I bet it would be a heck of a round for a revolver.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=cb...0b7fb27021cd85e

My nephew took one couple years ago with my .357 Using a 125 grain cast lead .38 special reload. One shot at 50 yards dropped it in its tracks. I would think anything that not designed to take out tanks will work just fine. I have knocked down yotes out to 100 yards with cast lead reloads out of mine.

Thanks for the help! Right now the only ammo I have for that pistol is Fiocchi 148gr semi jacket hollow point in 38 S&W Special.

I'm going to stop in Sportsman's Warehouse and see if they carry the Hornadys.

Good luck to everyone that's pig hunting this weekend.

God luck finding pistol ammo at sportsmans. The one in mesa looks like they just built the shelvs and have not put anything on them yet. They are sold out of everything. You might get lucky looking for a high dollar 357 ammo.

God luck finding pistol ammo at sportsmans. The one in mesa looks like they just built the shelvs and have not put anything on them yet. They are sold out of everything. You might get lucky looking for a high dollar 357 ammo.

That's exactly what I found at the Sportsman's in Tucson. Mostly empty shelves. I asked one of the guys that works there. He said they haven't been able to keep ammo in stock. As soon as it comes in people are buy 10+ boxes at a time. Don't know how true that is, but that's what he said.

I hope they are not facing economic trouble. The first thing retailers try to do is reduce inventory and increase inventory turns. They often (pardon the pun) shoot themselves in the foot. Being out of stock certainly doesn't help sales. I noticed the same thing at Cabela's and Bass Pro. C'mon retailers - stock up on dove loads in July/August, then waterfowl/deer/elk loads all fall and winter, and hangun loads in time for the HAM hunts. Didn't need a Masters in business ti figure that one out. Sad to see these mega stores putting the family stores out of business. Can't beat the internet if you plan ahead...