Sign in to follow this  
GameHauler

Barrel Length

I have been searching the Regs and GF web site

to verify the max barrel length for a hand gun for

Hunting during a HAM hunt.

Any one know for sure?

strange that they would not define it. I was curious and searched both G & F and Arizona Statutes. Nada. According to Websters a handgun is defined as -

Main Entry: hand·gun

Pronunciation: \-ˌgən\

Function: noun

Date: 15th century

: a firearm (as a revolver or pistol) designed to be held and fired with one hand

And according to the IRS -

2) DEFINITION OF HANDGUN- Section 5845 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to definitions) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(n) HANDGUN-

`(1) IN GENERAL- The term `handgun' means any weapon (including a starter gun) which--

`(A) is designed to or may be readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive, and

`(B) has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

Clear as mud. I have used a T/C pistol with a 16" barrel. Hope I was legal. If you find an answe please post.

Eric

I wanted to bring this back to the top

in hopes maybe someone has the answer.

I have been just to busy during business hours

to call GF.

Well all I know is that its a bit unfair for someone to be using a 22-250 T/C on a Ham hunt or whatever other large centerfire caliber they have it in. How does that really qualify as a handgun come on.

Just got off the phone with GF

They do NOT have a stipulation on barrel length.

The basic rule is it does not have a stock (shoulder)

And is designed to be shot with a single hand

as stated above so a 16" barrel is legal.

i shoot a t/c pistol in 7mm/08. it has a fourteen inch barrel and a 2x-8x scope. with 120 grns or 140 grns ballistic tips it has a 1.1 inch group at one hounderd yards. i used it mostly for deer in other states. it puts them down out to two houndred yards. realy goodmgun for anything up to bear.

Well after looking into the rules on the T/C heres what I have come up with. Nothing. Most I can find has to do with the conversion of the gun between the rifle configuration and the pistol configuration. It says you have to "legally" drop 200 to reregister thegun with the ATF to switch the gun between rifle and pistol or back again. Whatever it legally was registered is how it has to stay. It says for it to be a pistol its barrel length had to stay under 16 inches. But I don't know if its worth anything to this post.

Well after looking into the rules on the T/C heres what I have come up with. Nothing. Most I can find has to do with the conversion of the gun between the rifle configuration and the pistol configuration. It says you have to "legally" drop 200 to reregister thegun with the ATF to switch the gun between rifle and pistol or back again. Whatever it legally was registered is how it has to stay. It says for it to be a pistol its barrel length had to stay under 16 inches. But I don't know if its worth anything to this post.

Do not take this as Gospel But

My understanding of the Federal laws say;

you may not shorten a Rifle barrel to under 16"

but a hand gun has no limitations on length.

Guess I should add that also includes

Shot guns sold with a barrel 16" or longer