Sign in to follow this  
Kilimanjaro

MUDZIMBA NZOU!!

Area hunted: Chirisa Safari area and surrounding communal land, west central Zimbabwe.

Outfit: Ben Kotze Safaris

Professional Hunter: Ben Kotze

Dates: Feb. 19th through Feb. 28th

Firearm Used: Rem. 700 .375H&H

Animals hunted Management bull elephant, PAC bull elephant, Cape Buffalo.

Animals seen but not taken/hunted: Grey Duiker, Chobe bushbuck, Livingston Eland, zebra, impala, baboon, African Wildcat, spitting cobra, puff adder, moniter lizard

Travel Arangements: Cape to Cairo African travel

Well guys, I made it back in one piece from the hunt.. And it was a ride for sure!! This hunt was a short notice, "had to do now" hunt that came up last minute.

Made the LONG flight once again across the big drink.. We arrived into Harare without too much of an issue, other than my bag had got broken into in the Jo'burg airport (go figure, huh?). Luckily, all that was taken was a Northface pack and a nice Petzel headlamp.. all replacable without too much issue. Ben was there and we got through Zim customs without any issue at all and were quickly out of the airport and onto Ben's place in Harare to catch a few zzz's before heading out EARLY the next day. It was a 7 hour drive from Harare and we wanted to get there ASAP. The drive was nice and we got to see the beautiful Zim countryside.

Got to camp and settled in. This camp wasn't the luxury camp of most plainsgame hunts in southern Africa. This one had all that was needed, but was bare-boned to the max. No electricity(everything was candlelight once the sun went down), no hot water (not that it was needed, it was HOT!), and just your basic tent set up. But we weren't there to camp, and the amenities were to do just fine: we were there to hunt, and that was the one commodity that wasn't in any short order! We were there for elephant and cape buff, and they were EVERYWHERE, as were the bugs this time of year over there!!

We were greeted at the safari area entrace by this beautiful site.

IMG_0032edit.jpg

"Our home sweet home for the next 10 days!"

IMG_0040edit.jpg

The entrance to our hunting area. We were to hunt management ele bulls and cape buff in the Safari hunting area (Chirisa) and then hunt PAC ele in the communal lands that butt up against the safari lands.

IMG_0193edit.jpg

IMG_0078edit.jpg

..and the communal lands..

IMG_0024edit.jpg

IMG_0068edit.jpg

IMG_0151edit.jpg

"showing us where the crop raiding, problem causing elephants were coming in every afternoon.."

IMG_0066edit.jpg

"one side of the road, safari park area... the other communal lands. The elephant could care less. The "other side" was loaded with sweet corn, sugar cane, melons, and loads of other crops meant for village consumptsion, not ele bulls!"

IMG_0072edit.jpg

We had our introductions to our hard working staff..

This is Ben's "right hand" man, Hardlife. One of the hardest working, friendliest guys you could ever ask to be around. ALWAYS with a super smile on his face.

IMG_0140edit.jpg

Hardlife's younger brother, Justice. Just as a good guy as his brother.

IMG_0138edit.jpg

Our tracker in training (who, by the way was SUPERB), Munuratzi. One of the hardest working, eager to please guys I've seen.

IMG_0137edit.jpg

Our camp cook, Lodus.

IMG_0145edit.jpg

And our safari area's issued Game Scout, Kuda. He was a tracker EXTRAORDIARE!! And the man just plain loved to hunt.

IMG_0139edit.jpg

So as to not bore you guys to death with the minute details of normal details of safari life, the next 5 days were spent busting out butts off hunting from daybreak to dark most days.

The couple of days we did take a break because of the midday heat were spent like this.. then it was back to hitting it hard again in the cooling evening.

IMG_0011edit.jpg

"Elephant aren't too secretive in their movements.."

IMG_0057edit.jpg

DSC03020edit.jpg

We would follow sign and ended up in the midst of huge buff herds or sizable groups of ele, but the FICKLE winds were playing devil's addvocate everytime it seemed. We just could not get in with them close enough to sort out a good bull without getting busted. And as thick as the bush was, 30 yards might was well have been 300 in most areas. It was insanely green and dense. Tough hunting conditions to say the least..

After the 1st five days, still no luck with getting the gun into the sticks.. But were were getting closer everyday..

IMG_0143edit.jpg

On the 5th day, my birthday wish came true.. We cut a good track crossing the road at around 8AM.. The guys decided it was worth following. We got out onto the track and worked the bull. We were on the sign for 2 hours before we were easing along when Kuda froze in his tracks. Just 25 yards ahead was the bull, leisurely feeding his way towards his midday haunts deep into the jess. We looked him over and Ben gave the thumbs up!! He would fit the bill perfect for a management bull. Sticks came up and he spotted us. He swung around and flaired his ears out, telling us were were in his comfort zone. Safety off, and I slammed him head on between the front legs with the 1st shot. This hurt him hard and it almost set him down on his butt. Second shot was immediately coming. High lung. Third was onto the hip as he made his final turn. He was done and hadn't traveled 5 yards!! I was beside myself with emotion and excitement! I had hunted elephant! I had fullfilled a dream of mine.

IMG_0102edit.jpg

IMG_0106edit.jpg

You'd be amazed at the numbers of folks who show up once word gets out that an elephant has hit the dirt!! This was about 1/4 of the guys who were there!

IMG_0088edit.jpg

They turned the largest land animal into nothing more than a moist spot in the soil in a few hours. EVERY bit of an elephant is used. And because of the economic cesspool Zimbabwe is currently in, dried meat is used alot in the rural areas as currency.

Here is some "money" drying in the midday sun. Drying the meat allows it to stay usable for long periods of time. With no means to cool or freeze the meat, it is the only way to preserve it.

IMG_0134edit.jpg

After being on cloud nine, I was reminded that we still had cape buffalo on the menu!! Long story short, I hunted hard as ever for a bull, but it just didn't fall into place for buffalo on this trip. I saw some absolute bruiser bulls, but I just couldn't seal the deal on them in the end. Huge super spooky herds, fickle winds, insanely thick bush and 6-7ft. grass, etc.. Was my first buffalo hunt, but not my last. I can see how those black monsters could become an addiction! They posess all the qualities that make them one of the greatest game animals on earth! I'll be back to give them another go as soon as I can.

But the hunt wasn't over just yet! We were still being asked daily by the communal lands council to PLEASE come and try for an elephant of two in the fields. They were raiding every evening and causing a TON of destruction to the farmer's small plots. And on top of the crop depredation, several of the bulls had become rather testy and were now prone to chasing the farmers when pressured to leave the fields.. Sounds like a hunt to me! We made our plans and were at the farmer's house late that afternoon and were treated to fresh picked watermelon while we waited for the bulls to make their way to the fields.. which we were assured by the farmers that they would. Sure enough, at last light, we could hear them moving into the corn. We gave them about 20 minutes to settle in and get comfortable. Once they were, we made our move. Now, if you can imagine, sneaking to within 20 yards of a bull elephant in the pitch dark was an adrenilne rush like no other. Things could get hairy in a hurry if everything didn't go exactly as planned! Luckily, our's was textbook. Light comes on and in the one second it takes to determine if the elephant is a taker, you pick your spot and wait for the green light from your PH. Three shots into the boiler room, a 50 yard death run, and I had elephant bull #2!!!!

IMG_0169edit.jpg

IMG_0166edit.jpg

To cut a tail off an elephant hunted is to show ownership of that elephant. I gave the honors to Justice, and he relished in the task!!

IMG_0173edit.jpg

IMG_0176edit.jpg

Atfer a short celebration, the radio cracked. It was another farmer who had just seen a BIG bull ease into his field about 6 miles from where we were at with this one we had just taken. It's time to get our act together and get going!! There was another elephant to hunt!

We made our way to the farm and found the famer there in the road waiting for us. He knew exactly where the bull would be.. And he was right. Same story, different farm.. Light came on and there he was, and he DID NOT like us being there. He turned to face us and let us know the the field was HIS!! He swung around and I slapped him with an attempted brain shot, but it went high. This hurt him bad though.. Second and third shots did the trick though and he hadn't gone anywhere. We had done it!! Two problem elephant bulls is less than one hour! And this one was an absolute brute! Huge body on this bull. One tusk was busted at the lip and the other was prett nice for sure! Once the farmer got a look at him, he got even happier. It was the bull who was becoming testy with the famers. He was public enemy numero uno in their books and they were ectatic to see him get taken!! I was high on elephant hunting!

IMG_0180edit.jpg

IMG_0185edit.jpg

All in all, it ended up in the end to be a great hunt that I doubt I will ever be able to surpass. As I said before, I had fullfilled a dream hunt, now threefold!!

Zimbabwe is a wonderful country that I hadn't been to since 2000, and had never been to that part of the country. Beautiful as always, the friendliest people, and great hunting. I caanot wait to go back. And who knew that on this trip that not only would I get to hunt three elephant bulls, but just by going it made me the world's newest GO-ZILLIONAIRE!!! With unlimitled cash now at my disposal, look out hunting world!!

DSC03030.jpg

Thanks for sharin' in the hunt with me, guys!

IMG_0027edit.jpg

Here's couple of more pics I'd like to share with you guys... hope you enjoy them..

The biggest kudu bull I've ever laid my hands on.. and it was snared by poachers in the area.. the head was just laying behind the warden's office.. I 'bout had a heart attack when I saw it!

IMG_0033edit.jpg

this poster has new meaning to ya when your in the jess after 'em!

IMG_0074edit.jpg

"that looks like good country over there, boss..."

IMG_0050edit.jpg

WoW!! Congratulations on your elephants! I figured you would get one, but had no idea you would get three!! Wow, that's a lot of elephant hunting crammed into one trip! Did you take any video? If so, post it up please. That Kudu is unreal!! I have always wanted one of those!!

Thanks for all the pics Scottyboy and glad you had such a gret trip!

I bet you heard all kinds of neat animal sounds while back at camp in your tent! Did you hear anything interesting? I was thinking the other day about an Africa trip and thinking that I would love to do it in a tent so I could feel, hear and smell more of what it's like to be in Africa.

Amanda

Congrats on fufilling your dream Scotty! I am not an Ele guy by any stretch but enjoyed your adventure and pics!! I really liked the Buf p-u head and that Kudu is AMAZING!!!! I want one of those BAD!!!! Congrats on your success and your adventure!

Congrats Scotty and thanks for the pics and story.

Dude!

Looks like you guys put the smack down on the elephants!

Good thing you got your B-Day bull too. Nice present to yourself.

I can only imagine the feeling of killing TWO bulls in one hour too.

"Have you ever seen an elephant in Africa?" "Yeah, I killed three...that's how I roll." :blink:

Congrats again Buddy!

Wow. That about sums it up you are one lucky guy. So how did the elephant taste? That is awesome congrats and again WOW. :blink:

Dude,

1.) 3 bull elephants has got to put you in an elite group.

2.) did you get too keep (and import) all of the tusks n tails as trophies? or just the one you had the tag for? (I'd suggest doing the pedestal stands on either side of an entryway, those are sick!)

3.) did you at least try to beg and barter with the game ranger to buy that Kudu skull?

Next time you're gonna have to do it with a bow - 30 yards broadside at an elephant would be a dream for me ;)

Dude,

1.) 3 bull elephants has got to put you in an elite group.

2.) did you get too keep (and import) all of the tusks n tails as trophies? or just the one you had the tag for? (I'd suggest doing the pedestal stands on either side of an entryway, those are sick!)

3.) did you at least try to beg and barter with the game ranger to buy that Kudu skull?

Next time you're gonna have to do it with a bow - 30 yards broadside at an elephant would be a dream for me ;)

+1 on Tyson's ?'s. And that last elephant was enormous :blink: . HUGE body. Congrats on an unbelievable trip.

And that Kudu is just stupid big.