Sign in to follow this  
Jcubed

Optic suggestions for upcoming elk hunt

Brother and I just got drawn for a Unit 10 antlerless hunt and I was looking into some optics for the hunt but am utterly confused as to what would be the best option.

We plan on starting to hunt a lot and figure a good scope or binoculars would be a good piece of equipment to have.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Jcubed

In my opnion, the 3-9x40 Zeiss conguest is one of the best buys in scopes around. Last I saw, less than $400 and a heck of a scope!

My newbie Friend I think you need to be a little more detailed in your wants and funds.

Cassey assumed you meant rifle scopes and I guessed spotting scopes.

That being said :rolleyes: Swarovski for all your needs ;)

OK :( someone may have another idea :rolleyes:

I have used Nikon Monarch 10x50 the last 4 years and love them for the money around $250.00.

Thanks for the help there, can't believe I didn't specify...must be the adrenaline from just finding out we were drawn! I should have been more specific...that being said...

Looking for info on spotting scopes/binoculars for the hunt and as for funds I guess we could split the cost so maybe up to $1000.

for budget numbers for $1000 bucks:

$200 on a rifle scope (maybe look at Burris - decent quailty without spending big bucks)

$100 on a tripod

$400 on binos (maybe look at Nikon, Pentax, Burris or Minox - get around a 10 power)

$300 on a spotting scope if you really think you need a spotting scope (I wouldn't - not for a cow hunt - you are not judging antlers or something)

You'll spend 80% of your time looking through binoculars mounted on a tripod - spend your money there (again, maybe even spend the spotting scope budget on really good binos)

Look at Ebay - lot of people selling their stuff because of the poor economy (I just bought a pair of Swarovki 7X42 SLC for $620 delivered)

Just my 2 cents

My newbie Friend I think you need to be a little more detailed in your wants and funds.

Cassey assumed you meant rifle scopes and I guessed spotting scopes.

That being said :rolleyes: Swarovski for all your needs ;)

OK :( someone may have another idea :rolleyes:

thats not how you spell my name, viejo.

For your cow hunt, I would get a pair of 10x42s and put them on a tripod. Even 10x are better on a tripod than hand-held with elbows on the knees. No spotting scope needed.

Doug at CameraLand is selling the Promaster ELX binos, which will be slightly better than Vortex Razors at lower the price. I have a pair of the ZEN ED binos and have compared them side by side with the Nikon Monarch, Vortex Viper and Razor, and Swaro EL.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/promast...e=promaster1194

Doug was offering a CWT.com member discount in Jan

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...mp;#entry136476

Promaster reviews

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=122545

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...mp;#entry136625

Estas aprendiendo el idioma rapido Casey. :lol:

Hay muchas mas palabras lo que quiero decir a personas acqui, pero no me puedo por que estan malos!

Thanks a lot for all the information guys! I'll have to check out all the products you all mentioned.

Jcubed