Does anyone have a recepe for a bear roast? I just had one given to me and heard if it's not cooked right, then you may as well feed it to your dog.

Bear meat recipe on google yielded several hits.

This site looks good for bear recipes.bear meat recipes

Let us know how you ( or the dogs) like it.

Thanks az4life, That site has some great looking recipes,I'll let you know how it turns out :ph34r:

it's been my experience that even if it is cooked right, you're dog still might not eat it. bear is ok, at best. maybe one rung up the ladder from javelina. some years back i shot a big boar with my bow, during an archery elk hunt. still had my hounds and i thought i'd try and feed it to them. didn't want them getting wormy and they wouldn't eat raw bear anyway, so i pitted it. hung it in wet gunny sacks and cooked it twice. rendered all the grease out of it that way. when we pulled it out, it smelled so good that we ate some and it wernt bad. gave 70 or 80 lbs to my pal and him and his boys ate the whole pile in one deer season. my wife took another 70 or 80 lbs or and made hot tamales out of it. about 'leventyfourteen of em. they were good too. it was good with barbecue sauce on a samwich too. even took some to a potluck and didn't tell nobody what it was till it was gone. that's the only bear i ever ate that was ok. it wasn't great, but it wernt bad either. all the other bear i've tried to gag down was pretty rough. tried jerky, roast, stew, put it in beans, fried, grilled. it just ain't all that good. it's one of the main reasons i don't shoot em anymore. Lark.

Update, Bear meat is nasty, smelly, yucky....Never again.

that's why hounds lick their butts. tryin' to get the taste outta their mouth. Lark.

oh yeah, i forgot, told ya so.

I don't mind bear meat. It makes great jerky and I like the roasts. I think the key again is field care.

Don't even try and compare bear meat w/ javelina. Javelina is the best tasting meat I've ever had. My family and extended family will back me up on this one. Bear meat is ok but it is probably my least favorite.

Several years ago, in New Brunswick - a buddy gave me a box of bear meat - steaks, roasts, etc. I trimmed every little bit of fat that I could find off of the steaks, and BBQd them. It wasn't great, but - it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. I imagine that, like anything - diet, field preparation, age, etc., all factored in....

I agree with .270 on this one It makes you go :D :huh: :P :P

if you guys ever ate any good meat you wouldn't know what to do. "Bear, the other green meat". "Javelina, breakfast of wierdos". ya'll need to try somethin' good, like spam or headcheese. ya ever eat javelina oysters? ticks won't even get on a javelina. like ron white says "things that make ya go BLLUUHHH!". Lark.

I Shot a big bear that made the book years ago in unit 21. I thought it would be bad. But after cutting all the fat off and grinding into burger with beef fat. It was not to bad. Pulled the trick on not telling company what it was until after they ate it.They loved it untill I told them. Back when you could bait them a friend of ours would shoot them every year. He would tell us that some were really bad and some were good. He felt it was what they had been eating.

Noel

Maybe I have only tasted the ones that ate some of those butt licking hounds of larks right. ;)

I don't know it been too long ago ;)