DubTee

Sako Rifles?????

For all you rifle gurus, I need some help please. I am wanting to purchase a rifle, this will be my first larger caliber rifle purchase ever. I have spent the past two months trying to educate myself on rifles; brands, calibers, scopes, etc., including trying to gather feedback and information from forums like this one where members put these rifles through real hunting situations. I am looking for a fairly light hunting rifle, so I have narrowed it down to stainless/synthetic, and I have pretty much decided on .300 wsm as my caliber of choice. Also, I am left handed so I know that narrows the search a bit as well and will be using factory ammo. My research led me to the Tikka T3 lite, great cost, good accuracy, etc, but the stock looked cheap to me (cosmetics are important). Tikka research led me to Sako, which is basically a higher end Tikka, or that is how I understand it. The next rifle that I looked at was the newer Sako A7, which I gathered as basically a Tikka T3 with smaller upgrades such as some more metal on the clip, the safety unloading feature, I think a bit better trigger, and accepting of weaver style rings. The downside to me was the reviews said the stock still seemed cheap (like the T3), and still had all the plastic on it, trigger guard, clip, and a part on the bolt. So then I looked at the Sako 85, good reviews, and it looked great (which is very important to me), but at an additional 600 over the A7, I thought I could do better for less. So now I researched the Sako 75, which the 85 replaced, and many think is still the better gun anyway. I am not opposed at all at buying an older model or used gun, and from what I gathered, a 75 could be had for around $1000 (I could be wrong though). My questions are these: First, am I on the right track, and if I am, what is the best way to find the rifle I am looking for (in this case a sako 75 left-handed in .300 wsm)? Secondly, what are everyone's opinion/experience on Tikka's/Sako's, and/or what other brands should I consider? Thirdly, if I am missing anything please chime in. Thanks in advance for anyone's opinion.

I have an older .300 Win Mag Sako and it drives tacks.... It has never let me down and I trust it. That being said, you will need to find a load that works for you and your rifle...

Jason

I own left handed Tikka T3's in .270 Win and .300 WSM. Both are light, accurate, and reliable. Smooth actions, good triggers...had some problem with the factory rings on the .300 WSM, but I was shooting some hot loads off a lead sled and the recoil loosened them. I hunted with the .300 WSM for a total of 8 days in the field last year...no complaints. .270 only has about 80 rounds through it at the range. I suppose the cosmetics on the stock might be a deterrent to some...as I said the gun is light and accurate, and that matters more to me than style when I'm in the field.

Thanks for the replies fellas, the T3 is definitly on my list and looks better each day, I don't know if I'd be able to find a 75 anyway, and I'm not sure the A7 is worth the extra money over the T3.

I have not shot a T3 but I know a few guys who love them. Siwash be careful shooting off a sled to much. All that energy from the rifle is not being released and it very hard on stocks and scopes. I have seen leuapolds break from guys shooting hot loads from a sled.

Yes, thanks for the advice...that was the first and last time I shot off a lead sled.