Sign in to follow this  
deserthntr

Glassing up......

I have seen lots of lions (15+?), but I think I have only glassed up three of them. Two were taking a nap together. here are some digiscoped pics.

post-1-1239719964.jpg

post-1-1239719973.jpg

post-1-1239719980.jpg

Most of the lions were seen while driving on San Carlos. One was a group of four lions (I think a mother and 2 sets of young) that I watched for awhile but didn't have a camera and no tag. Some were seen from the air while doing aerial surveys. And the most recent sighting was the one I walked up on in a trap on San Carlos.

post-1-1239720137_thumb.jpg

Amanda, Awesome pics!

I seem to average about two lion sightings per year in southern Arizona. Last year, I had one cross the road (400 yds from my house) and glassed up about 7 in the last few years. Haven't been able to get one killed yet.

In 2001, I glassed up a lion on one of the boulder piles above The Boulders Resort in North Scottsdale. Watched him for an hour before he disappeared. I drove around to see where he went and realized he dropped right into a small gated community :huh: . He must have spotted a poodle or maybe a shi-tzu :blink:

Sundevil and I were out scouting deer spring of last year and he glassed up two lions. Since he didn't have his rifle or lion tag with him I got the honors even though he glassed them up. Just a few days ago I recieved the aging report back from G&F. She was aged right at one year old. Younger than thought but still an honor.

before that day with Scoutm, I had only glassed up 2 other lions (30A and 33). Scoutm glassed one up a few years ago in NM and jumped another one while we were out on a deer hunt here in AZ.

before that day with Scoutm, I had only glassed up 2 other lions (30A and 33). Scoutm glassed one up a few years ago in NM and jumped another one while we were out on a deer hunt here in AZ.

We also saw a big lion cross the road at night on our way home from a NM Deer Scouting trip. Sundevil wanted to call someone with dogs as we knew where a fresh trail was but needed to be remined that the new lion season had been shortened and that lion couldn't be hunted.

there sure are alot out there.

That is one thing that many people don't realize! It's really quite amazing that we can run a track one day, harvest a nice lion, then go back to the same place within 2 weeks and run a totally different track from a different lion. There are TONS of lions in Arizona, and most people don't have any idea...including G&F... ;)

Oh yeah...not trying to hijack the thread...I've only glassed up one while coues hunting.

Cheers,

Tyler

I have glassed around 10 while whitetail hunting.Not that many when you consider I have been glassing for coues for thirty years.The only one I could shoot was not one of the ten.I saw him with my eyes walking accross the caynon on a trail.He is on my wall.

The one animal I want very bad and have not been able to get yet. I was trying to count how many I have seen. I believe it is 14 or 15 I have seen over the years. Some I have Glassed and some I have spotted with my eyes while hiking to and from hunting spots and a few by the road while driving. I have almost always had a Lion Tag with me but for one reason are another was not able to get one. Most of the ones I glassed and seen I was Bow Hunting or Muzzleloader hunting. My Brother who has glassed up several also over the years shot one of the ones we glassed. My Brother also had the grand Privilage of glassing a Jaguar down by Sasabe about 10 years ago. It could be the one that just died in the Game and Fish situation.

Been tagging along hunting since I was five...got serious about glassin in '96 and didn't glass up my first lion until '04 since then I have glassed up 7 and been sitting next to someone who glassed one up 3 times...I shot at four of those and got to tag one of them...should of been two but a guy poked one I shot with his gun and it jumped up and ran off but thats a whole other story...they are sure fun to see! definately get me excited

About 8 years ago, a small female stalked us while a bud and I were mapping a plan to put a stalk on a buck (archery). She got within 20 yards and my buddy make a lethal shot and did a full body mount with her (a never forget moment for sure). I've been glassing with 15's for about ten yrs and am pretty confident in my ability, but to date have never glassed one up :( . Always carry my tag and I'm hopeful my day will come.

oh yea just to add a little insult to injury, I get them on my cameras almost every time I change the cards!!!! ARRGGHHH....

I hunted lion hard for 22 years, and although we treed a ton over dogs I went for years not seeing any lion without the dogs treeing them. *(Side note: anyone that thinks treeing lion with dogs is the "easy way" is WRONG. At any rate; I had one year when I saw 7 lion in one year without the dogs! I glassed a female with 2 kittens (36-c), glassed a tom (21) had one run off a water hole (6-B), one crossed the road in front of me (12-w), and one crossed I- 17 in front of me while going coyote calling. All of those were in the same year.

Other than that I had one cross the 87 while I was heading up to bear hunt (Mt. ord), glassed one in 36-c this year while huntin Coues, glassed another in 36-c while hunting, and I am sure that I am forgeting a few. On top of these we have walked up on several trees with lion in them while coon huntin. Of course we pulled the dogs and let the lion go.

It is truely amazing how many we have, and where lion are in Arizona.

Good Hunting,

Whitey