Sign in to follow this  
king4wd

.270 Winchester Powder

Just got my .270 winchester dies and I'm looking for the best powder for it. I'm looking to use a 150 gr. Berger VLD. I'm shooting it through a model 700. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Well, I went to the gun shop and found that all they had left was H4831SC They are running low and aren't sure when they'll get more powder in. I ended up buying 3 pounds of it while they still have it. Hope my gun likes it.

What's the main performance difference between H4831sc and H4350?

the 4831 will work fine. i have a hard time getting as much velocity with as i can with 4350, but the 4831 is ok. especially the sc. it's a lot finer and easier to reload. i use h4350 anymore instead of imr. Lark.

+1 for 4831sc

I've also had positive experiences with Winchester 760 powder. 54.5 grains was the nexus of velocity and accuracy for 130 grain Nosler BT bullets in my gun.

Went out shooting some new loads yesterday and the most consistent speeds were comming from the Nosler Ballistic Tip 130 gr. Nosler claims that the minimum impact speed is 1600 FPS for that bullet. If my ballastics are correct, with the speeds I was getting, that would make it a 600 yard gun. Anyone shot anything at some distance with the noslers? How'd they perform?

In my experience's the 130gr. nosler ballistic tip is not a good bullet for game at long range. I shot a deer at 450 yds with it,(out fo a .270) it barely penetrated before exploding, lucky for me I got part of a main artery and after a few minutes and a follow up shot he was down. My brother shot a buck in 2007 with his .270, also used a 130gr nos ballistic tip, at 500 yds, high shoulder, the bullet penetrated the hide, hit the shoulder and glanced off as it fragmented.It did not penetrate the body cavity at all. The impact knocked the deer down, but he had to finish him at a closer range.

I don't know about anyone else, just my experience. Now I shoot a .300 Ultra mag, 165gr, scirocco- no more long range issues.