For one reason or another my wife's turkey hunts have always had Murphy along, as in Murphy's Law. She has probably sat more hours in a ground blind than any person has a right to. 32 years of hunting and she has finally closed the door on her quest of an Az turkey. Between me trying to video her hunts and her making noise at the wrong time or getting to the blind late only to have the turkeys already there has been very frustrating, not only for her but for me as well. I made a commitment that this was going to be the year for her and my Dad before I would try and harvest my bird. It started waking up at 3:30am and I was sitting in what I thought to be the best of several spots I had scouted and had my Dad in the second best place. Hearing plenty of gobbling had us excited but to our unknown we had two other hunters walking the woods near where we were hunting and saw their tracks on the way back to camp for lunch. Dad hadn't seen anything either and after a nap we were all back out for the evening hunt. Peg and I had 5 whitetail, one being a little spike, walk by our stand but not what we were after. After ariving in camp we learn that Dad had 4 jakes walk by him. He said he didn't know if this would be his last chance at a turkey do to his ailing body parts and so he said, "At 80 what do you think I did. BOOM!" We all started laughing and hugs of congratulations were in order. Another day of frustration with weekenders shooting guns and a father son team riding their trail bikes thru the woods. Yes, I stopped them and they left. My wife said it just wasn't meant for her to ever shoot a turkey. I had to put another plan together and it had to be fast since tomorrow was her last day to hunt. I went to my #3 spot and found plenty of sign and decided to have her there by 4:15am. I figured she would want to sleep in but she said Amanda"s turkey story inspired her to keep trying so we started out at 4 and soon was listening to gobblers in the distance. I started calling after I figured the turkeys were on the ground and had a response immediately. A jake ran in and was so fasinated with my decoy and he called and strutted untill a flock of 12 birds came in at 6:10 with several jakes, hens and one big tom. I was shaking so bad and new something was about to happen and Murphy's Law was hiding behind every tree. I was going to have her shoot the first bird with a beard but she insisted on the last one which was trutting in full force all the way in. As the birds past within 20 yds I was loosing it. So many opportunities walking by and then BOOM. She shot and it wasn't all that good but her next shot put it down for good. I yelled stop shooting and she said we finally did it affter 32 years. Do you think there were a tear or two? I don't know when I was ever so excited for her.

My wife's first.

post-1903-1241465893_thumb.jpg

Peg & I

post-1903-1241465951_thumb.jpg

Dad & Peg

post-1903-1241466082_thumb.jpg

Our setup!

post-1903-1241466175_thumb.jpg

Loaded for the ride back to camp

post-1903-1241466194_thumb.jpg

You get an elk tag every year, and she has to wait 32 years to get a turkey? Man, that is just wrong! :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Great pics Tj. Give your wife a big congratulations on that bird.

Alright!!! Way to go Peg!!! Must be a great feeling of accomplishment! Looks like a great bird too! I hope you are getting it mounted or at least doing the tail mount.

Congratulations to your dad too!! That's some great success for your family!

Amanda

PS., I am glad my turkey hunt story inspired you to hang in there! I will tell the other ladies and send them the link to your story!

that is a great story and two great birds. congratulations to your wife and your dad.

Whooo Hooo!! Way to stick with it and get it done!!! Congrats to Peg on a BEAUTIFUL Gobbler, looks like you got Two Turkeys in the second pic!!!!!! :blink: :lol: :lol: :P Congrats on a successful hunt!!!

As a side note.... I was wondering what the heck happend to your Dad's bird?? :blink: :rolleyes: :lol: ;) Congrats to him as well!!!!

That ground blind looks a lot like the one on the bench across from camp, TJ?

Whooo Hooo!! Way to stick with it and get it done!!! Congrats to Peg on a BEAUTIFUL Gobbler, looks like you got Two Turkeys in the second pic!!!!!! :blink: :lol: :lol: :P Congrats on a successful hunt!!!

As a side note.... I was wondering what the heck happend to your Dad's bird?? :blink: :rolleyes: :lol: ;) Congrats to him as well!!!!

That ground blind looks a lot like the one on the bench across from camp, TJ?

Well, the ice melted in the ice chest and the bird got all wet. I thought if anyone would comment on his bird it would be you Gino :lol: :lol: I was right. As for the ground blind, they all look a like. ;) My wife liked the two turkey comment. :angry: :P :lol:

TJ

Great job on getting your 1st turkey. That first photo reminds me of my turkey that I killed two years ago. I posted my bird up on a fallen log, just as you did on that rock.

Great job.

-Ryan

Great job on getting your 1st turkey. That first photo reminds me of my turkey that I killed two years ago. I posted my bird up on a fallen log, just as you did on that rock.

Great job.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan, I will let my wife read your comment in the morning. :)

TJ