Sign in to follow this  
soazarcher

Kaibab archery success rate

Just glancing at the current regulations and noticed the success rate on the new archery hunts in 12B and 12BWest.

0% for each? Really? No body shot anything?

15 tags in 12B and 75 in 12BW / 0 bucks killed

Is this a misprint? Does anyone know if this is correct?

Seems odd...but I'm pretty sure those hunts have mandatory physical check-ins, so it might be right?

I noticed a couple odd success rates as well (not as odd as zero, of course). For example, the 16A Jr. hunt had a 65% success rate, compared to 18% for the 16A general hunt just a week later. I'd love to see the formula that somehow takes into account the optional harvest reporting.

I noticed a couple odd success rates as well (not as odd as zero, of course). For example, the 16A Jr. hunt had a 65% success rate, compared to 18% for the 16A general hunt just a week later. I'd love to see the formula that somehow takes into account the optional harvest reporting.

Here you go....

post-1361-1241561976.gif

I read in a publication the other day that this was no mistake. I guess the hunt was brutal, why? I don't know.

I believe it. Most all deer at that time of year are on the kaibab or on the paunsagunt platues. There are a few resident deer on the paria in 12b. Might be a few bucks that live locally in 12b west, but I bet they are few and far between.

Notice that this year, 12B, 12BW and 12A have been combined into one hunt, but still with the same number of total tags, 1090.

I hunted 12a last year and talked to a guy hunting 12b at Jacob lake through out the hunt. He said it was a tough hunt he was seeing mostly coyotes and very few deer, needless to say he went home empty handed. So the success rates are probably pretty accurate.

To fill you all in a bit, the numbers are correct. I think reported harvest in 12A was 17%, and 0 in 12B and 12BW. They were very tough hunts for sure and the department actually received some complaints about the facts that they even had those hunts.

The recommendation for this year was to combine the units and offer 1,000 tags.

Myself representing the ABA and David Myrick representing Desert Christian Archers opposed the recommendation at the Commission meetings, our argument being that the Department has set a guideline of 20% for archery success and combining 12A-12B and 12BW, harvest was only 16%. Therefore there was no justification in taking away the 90 tags that had been in 12B and 12BW and they should be rolled into the combined units.

The Commission agreed with us an voted 5-0 to I believe to restore those 90 tags.

Sometimes it pays to be present guys, we have never quit fighting for every tag possible but we don't always win! But, we do always show up!