Sign in to follow this  
SilentButDeadly

Original hunt

One possible use by ranchers was to direct goats toward their corrals as the herders moved them around the mountains. Raising goats for mohair was very common in Arizona in the 1930's. It could be that the goat herders also used what was already there as a hunting trap that was there for centuries.

Thats awesome. Thanks for posting the video!

I ran down an elk once. But he had a hurt back leg to start with. He ran really well at first and just as fast as a normal elk. He had been shot in the back ham. It was an older lady with the tag and she needed to finish him off. After a few miles of tracking and running he finally laid down just like that. I laid down next to him and about passed out myself. After I got up I told him to stay right there and I'd be right back! When I made it back with the lady he had snuck off again so the tracking/running started all over again but didn't last as long this time and she filally got her finnishing shot into him! Once an elk breaks into a full run they tire really fast. But they can do a swift trot all day long.

I also tried to run down a Mtn Lion once as well. yea yea stupid I know, but I did it! I jumped him in two inches of snow and ran him as hard as I could for 3 miles! I tired him down to a sloppy feet and gut dragging kitty that couldn't do much more than a sloppy heavy breathing walk! But he never would tree and just gave it his all to stay about 100 yards ahead of me. I tried and tried to cut the distance but I was dragging tail by then as well. He finally drug himself into some thick PJ's in some hilly country and I just couldnt crawl through it like he could and the hills did me in. But at least I got to see him all tuckered out and dragging tail trying to stay in front of me! Even though he beat me I was pritty happy knowing that my best was good enough to wear him to a frazzle and get me close! I used to run cross country in school but those days are long gone and my counter weight out front has got too much movement to it and messes with my rhythm! ;) :lol:

Lance

One possible use by ranchers was to direct goats toward their corrals as the herders moved them around the mountains. Raising goats for mohair was very common in Arizona in the 1930's. It could be that the goat herders also used what was already there as a hunting trap that was there for centuries.

Could well be, but I doubt that a 200- to 400-yard wall built on a ridge would actually direct goats to a corral unless there was a corral at the end of the wall. The walls I've seen simply ended.

Bill Quimby

There are stories from the navajo about the running down of deer. There are still remnents of wood fences were these chases were done. It would seem like it would be very similar to the movie Apcolypto, where the hunters ran down the animal in the first scene. The fences I've seen where tall, like 7 to 8 feet high and it seemed like they were much taller than that with the amount of logs laying around the area. When I first noticed it I asked why would someone make a corral as tall as that? Thats when i was told of the stories.

Thats awesome. Thanks for posting the video!

I ran down an elk once. But he had a hurt back leg to start with. He ran really well at first and just as fast as a normal elk. He had been shot in the back ham. It was an older lady with the tag and she needed to finish him off. After a few miles of tracking and running he finally laid down just like that. I laid down next to him and about passed out myself. After I got up I told him to stay right there and I'd be right back! When I made it back with the lady he had snuck off again so the tracking/running started all over again but didn't last as long this time and she filally got her finnishing shot into him! Once an elk breaks into a full run they tire really fast. But they can do a swift trot all day long.

I also tried to run down a Mtn Lion once as well. yea yea stupid I know, but I did it! I jumped him in two inches of snow and ran him as hard as I could for 3 miles! I tired him down to a sloppy feet and gut dragging kitty that couldn't do much more than a sloppy heavy breathing walk! But he never would tree and just gave it his all to stay about 100 yards ahead of me. I tried and tried to cut the distance but I was dragging tail by then as well. He finally drug himself into some thick PJ's in some hilly country and I just couldnt crawl through it like he could and the hills did me in. But at least I got to see him all tuckered out and dragging tail trying to stay in front of me! Even though he beat me I was pritty happy knowing that my best was good enough to wear him to a frazzle and get me close! I used to run cross country in school but those days are long gone and my counter weight out front has got too much movement to it and messes with my rhythm! ;) :lol:

Lance

Very Cool Lance!!! That's some amazing work you did!

Amanda

(Editor's note: It looks like SBD's original link isn't working.) I'll try to provide another here:

I know this is an old post but it's fascinating. I remembered it when I ran across this article about a Russian family that took off to the wilderness to escape persecution. The story includes a reference to persistence hunting that reminded me of this post.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html

Here's the relevant quote:

"Yet the Lykovs lived permanently on the edge of famine. It was not until the late 1950s, when Dmitry reached manhood, that they first trapped animals for their meat and skins. Lacking guns and even bows, they could hunt only by digging traps or pursuing prey across the mountains until the animals collapsed from exhaustion. Dmitry built up astonishing endurance, and could hunt barefoot in winter, sometimes returning to the hut after several days, having slept in the open in 40 degrees of frost, a young elk across his shoulders."

On 4/1/2019 at 2:24 AM, firstcoueswas80 said:

Dude. You're bumping 10 year old threads....

I'd say this is an "oldie but a goodie" post.  I miss Silent But Deadly.  Haven't seen him on here in a long while.

It reminds me of this article called The Art of Tracking, the Origin of Science:

https://www.cybertracker.org/downloads/tracking/The-Art-of-Tracking-The-Origin-of-Science-Louis-Liebenberg.pdf

An old post, yes.  But interesting, to be sure.