Sign in to follow this  
massamino

calling elk during September

Are electronic calls legal for elk in AZ? Has anyone had any experience with them while calling for elk? I plan on using a variety of mouth calls for my 6A south bull hunt this September but I thought a recorded fighting sequence might be effective. I can't see carrying around a set of elk antlers with all the miles we cover.

Decoys are another issue I could use some advise. I never hear of hunters using them during elk season in AZ but they seem effective in other states. I'm getting anxious for my bowhunt already and it's not even June.

I hope the weather cooperates and we get some mucho precip. I'm looking for a giant!

They are legal, but you cannot enter an animal into the P&Y record books if you were aided with electronic calls. If the record book doesn't matter to you, then by all means, give it a go.

Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks for the advise guys. I keep reading mixed articles on calling elk at that time of year (bugle or not to bugle). I'm willing to do whatever it takes to score a trophy. It's seems to be a challenge in that unit to find a area free of road access. I would love to find a secluded area that holds water that would require packing in for the day to escape hunting pressure.

I would be as quiet as possible, bugle only to locate then close the gap. Cow call to get interest, but alot of bugling many times sends the big bulls off with their cows. Big bulls are not really wanting to fight, they want to breed, so locate them either by just hearing their bugle or from a response to your bugle then sneak in. The more noise you make you give away your position..........Allen.........

I would be as quiet as possible, bugle only to locate then close the gap. Cow call to get interest, but alot of bugling many times sends the big bulls off with their cows. Big bulls are not really wanting to fight, they want to breed, so locate them either by just hearing their bugle or from a response to your bugle then sneak in. The more noise you make you give away your position..........Allen.........

Good advice above. I have the same tag as you and have hunted the area before. Good luck finding an area that doesnt have roads. But it doesnt matter. You will see plenty of elk. Find a big canyon, and hunt around it. They like to bed near or in the big canyons. Also watch for the tree huggers. Two years ago they shot thousands of round off at all hours of the day and night. They would also drive up and down the road banging pots and pans. Crazy bunch they are. :blink:

Guest RutNHard

No calls/ Listen for the bugel / Check your wind make sure you are between them and where they are heading ( sometimes this takes listening to more than one bugel / and head toward the bugels / circle in front of them and constantly check the wind and stay in front or the side of them dont try to catch them from behind or you will be chasing all day. When you close the distance make sure the cows dont bust you!! If you try to call at any of these points you are just letting the bull know that you are nearby and hes gonna set there and watch until he bust you. Good Luck!!

Thanks for the info guys. I have experienced the tree huggers before just above Horse Knoll (which I love to hunt). They did exactly what was described earlier, shot multiple rounds all day. I wish Game and Fish could do something about this but I guess that's not going to happen. Thanks again.

the tree people are doing this everywhere. 5a has some every year in the same area, it don't seem to effect the elk in that area though. Calling does work sometimes when its "right" but if its not right quit calling cause they aint comming.

It may be tricky with this years archery hunt being early. (again) The rut didn't start until late in the game last year. Had to do some aggressive bugling to even get them to call. It can get frustrating but rewarding once you are able to figure them out. Once close, cow calls get the attention, even the lead cow will come in.

Once the rut starts, they won't need much persuading. They will let you know where they are. Then you want to close the distance if stalking. You will be right among them if all works in your favor. Just don't let your knees turn to jelly when all breaks loose around you like I do!

there is actually a few trails that the elk use to come right on into the farms in Camp Verde. They like to get into the feilds along Beaver Creek. I would Deffinatly check out areas just north of Camp Verde (wet beaver wilderness and clear creek wilderness) some of this area dosen't look like it would hold much elk but i've seen some pretty decent bulls in some strange areas. I think the archery hunt would be a good time to hunt this area as you're right about harvest time.

My last elk hunt the calls almost seemed to alert the elk - especially the hoochie mama. In the morning I'd get out 2 hours before sun up within a mile of where I wanted to hunt and listen for the bugles, follow them on foot on the trail/road and then sneak in without a single call as they feed towards bedding areas. Stayed out from dark to dark and saw elk at all hours of the day. Spending time in the trees, not in camp, staying silent, sneaky and using their bugles to locate worked best for me on that hunt.

Best thing that happened was the fact that I forgot the call and just let them call me in.

post-3406-1246327248_thumb.jpg

Sometimes calling works and sometime it doesn't. The secret is to find one that's ready to die. In other words, get out there chase bugels, try to ambush, stalk 'em, and be aggressive. The last bull hunt I had, I was within bow range 4 -6 times daily without getting a shot, that's bow hunting. In the end, it was my turn, the bull was ready to die. Go into this hunt knowing you are going to have shooting opp's, but for one reason or another they don't work out. Keep at it, don't get disscouraged, and stay positive!

Enjoy your time in the field,