Sign in to follow this  
taxdrmyJoe

hunting in patagoina

Has anyone hunted in patagoina before 35B I hunted there once about 9 yrs ago for javelina, liked the area but its a long way from tempe was wondering if its worth the drive down there?

JOE

In 2006 I helped my wife's cousin on a hunt in 35B, and he killed the smaller of two bucks I glassed up. We camped in Harshaw canyon and killed the buck in the big canyons on the west side of the range. We saw a fair amount of deer but the biggest was high 80". There is a lot of traffic in harshaw, but it is a nice area. Lots of Border patrol activity. If you stay away from the roads and hike into the rougher canyons, you will get away from 95% of the crowds.

Unfortunately we got to witness search and rescue load a deceased immigrant into the coroners vehicle, across the road from us. The vicitim was found by a hunter :(

We also saw a good sized Bear about 700 yards out, and watched him for about an hour.

I was in 35 A&B last year helping out on one of the late season muzzleloader tags. Dude really wanted a mulie, so that's what we went after, ended up with a solid desert carp on the last morning. I did see some good coues bucks around mid-Dec when I scouted, both of them would have went around 90 inches as 3X3's. Saw javelina, mulies, coues, quail, other hunters, border patrol, and illegals. Plenty of deer down there though, but like snapshot said, you need to go deep to find the good ones.

From your title, "Hunting in Patagonia," I thought you would be talking about southern Argentina.

I used to hunt the 35 units a lot, and have taken some good mule deer (one very good one) and several fair whitetails from them. Although I haven't hunted there in at least 10 years, I can't imagine much has changed except for the number of illegals there.

Bill Quimby

Hunted down there for many years, but not in the last 4 years or so. Our normal hunting area started to become "not so secret" anymore, and it was just too long of a drive to really devote much time to scouting new areas. Lots of deer, if you can find them. They tend to be concentrated in pockets in some nasty country.

Used to live in Tucson back 15-20 years ago.and hunted 35B quite a bit. Shot a 97" coues in the canyons southeast of Harshaw. Mearns were fun to hunt too - ore to the east of Harshaw. Haven't been down there in 15 years. I heard the illegal immigrant problem has worsened. Looked at buying property in Duschene (sp?) - liked the area but was worried about vandalism being I couldn't live there and the illegal problem (I lived and worked in Tucson).

The 35's have some huge whitetail, I've hunted 35B for the past 4 years. The smuggling is getting a lot worse, this past season a couple good friends of mine glassed up 3 different groups of smugglers in 4 days of hunting. The deeper and nastier you get the better off you are.

Well thanks a alot guys sounds good sounds like id better take a trip down and decide what i want to do. Sure dont like the thought of running into bunches of illegals for one ruining a shot or harrasing my camp. Has anyone run into any problems?

Used to live in Tucson back 15-20 years ago.and hunted 35B quite a bit. Shot a 97" coues in the canyons southeast of Harshaw. Mearns were fun to hunt too - ore to the east of Harshaw. Haven't been down there in 15 years. I heard the illegal immigrant problem has worsened. Looked at buying property in Duschene (sp?) - liked the area but was worried about vandalism being I couldn't live there and the illegal problem (I lived and worked in Tucson).

My wife and I own a few acres in the hills above the Kino Springs golf course if anyone is interested in buying some land there. Our property stretches across Yerba Buena Canyon and is surrounded by the Las Colinas de Estancia Yerba Buena development. We have eight separate parcels ranging from 5 acres to 25 acres, with some great views of that region and well into Mexico. One of the little draws on our land always has a herd of javelinas and a whitetail buck or two.

Bill Quimby

More Illegals = less hunters = better chance at a trophy buck

Also,

Like to add marked and unmarked BP+ their heli flying low or even landing close by. Which is pretty cool. That lawn mower in the sky constantly flying above(predator drone). Cow trails that were once used for COWS. Lack of cell phone coverage. :huh:. And, oh yeah, Those noises in those deep thick canyons way back in there that used to be made by animals that had fur. Other than that, I sleep pretty well down there. :ph34r:

It's a lot better then sleeping in a trailer park, like in 32. I think :lol: :lol: