MuleyMan

Kowa/Docter Big Eyes

Has anybody here tried the Kowa Highlander fixed or variable? They look just mean with the Fluoride lenses. How 'bout Docter Optics 32x or the 20-50x variable?

Money aside, do these bigguns fill a void and are they useful for loooooooong range glassing of Coues and Muleys in semi-open country? How are the heat waves in higher temps? I'm wondering specifically about advantages over 15x tripod mounted binos. Sure don't mind buying a big butt tripod to hold these heavyweights.

What is the input from people who have these or have heard from others about 'em??? Any opinions will be appreciated.

MM,

My first brush with bino's like that was on a sheep hunt in Utah. We were set up on a road looking at sheep 3+ miles away on the mountain and really having to use our big spotting scope to get the job done. A guy and his wife pull up and out comes this suitcase... :rolleyes: .... he pulled out what looked like 2 big spotting scopes connected by a handle! :blink: I believe it was made by Ziess and at the long range they were way easy on the eyes and the adjustable power made it possible to cope with the heat waves... I am told that the big Kowa's are basically the same, but I have no clue if the quallity compares to the Ziess. All I can tell you if I had an extra $3500 layin' around I'd owned me a pair of those a long time ago for hunting close to the truck or Ranger/quad. Hope that helps.... ;) .

Scott Adams has a pair of the Docter Aspectums 30x. Due to the magnification, one might find themselves glassing areas a couple of canyons too far away. They are nice to pick apart the bushes for the bedded deer. FOV is rather limited on the shorter ranges. I had a chance to look through them on a coues hunt with Scott a few years ago.

I might suspect that the Kowa Prominar Highlanders would offer better resolution that the Docters, as the Kowa Prominar spotting scopes are rated above the Swaros. Binoculars.com has the Highlander for $4000

Often I wished while glassing that the 15x binos were 20 or 25x, but who makes an affordable 20x80 that has the needed sharpness?

I have used the 30X Doctors and they are amazing. We found a 2 pt buck at 4.7 miles away. We could tell it was a buck but not a shooter. Drove over in the truck and used the GPS to check the distance. It was a 2 pt!

The Highlanders are better yet, but they are really too big to carry beyond the truck.

Like Doug said, I've been using the 30's almost exclusively for several years and absolutely love them. I have changed my style of hunting somewhat to accomodate the magnification. Such as getting as high as possible with as much country to see as possible. I rarely use the 15's these days.

Scott Adams has a pair of the Docter Aspectums 30x. Due to the magnification, one might find themselves glassing areas a couple of canyons too far away. They are nice to pick apart the bushes for the bedded deer. FOV is rather limited on the shorter ranges. I had a chance to look through them on a coues hunt with Scott a few years ago.

I might suspect that the Kowa Prominar Highlanders would offer better resolution that the Docters, as the Kowa Prominar spotting scopes are rated above the Swaros. Binoculars.com has the Highlander for $4000

Often I wished while glassing that the 15x binos were 20 or 25x, but who makes an affordable 20x80 that has the needed sharpness?

Now that, Doug, is a quality post! Thanks!

I'm also totally impressed with the top end Kowa products. I looked at several including the 10.5 x 44mm Genesis bino at Outdoorsmans the other day and it is the best buy on the market for $1400 IMHO. Tight tolerances resulting in NO play in the eyecups and focus knob (important!) with a very tight hinge pin plus green rubber armoring and TERRIFIC glass on par with the big 3. Woooooooow! Kowa has been making optics for a loooong time and definitely is good at it. Waaaaaaay too much emphasis is put on just the glass when evaluating a bino. My personal quirk is my desire for a focus wheel with no play. What's the point in primo glass if you can't get exact focus?

Thanks for the tip on binoculars.com. I'm real close to pulling the trigger on these......free shipping and no sales tax. Presently, my big glass is 12 x 50 HD Leica Ultravids.

Doug, will you drive me to the ER when I collapse from 'glassing too far away'........now hereby officially known as 'Doug's Syndrome'?

Doug, do you think that the new Swaro carbon fiber tripod CT 101 will hold these 13.6 lbs Kowa's???

C

I have a pair of the Kowa Big Eyes. They are unbelievable!!!!!!!!!! I have used the Doctor 40's and there is no comparison in my opinion. The Kowas are crisp and clear all the way to the edge of the field of view. I think the field of view was better with the Kowas as well. The Kowas come with 32X eye pieces but you can also get 20X & 50X eye pieces as well. The Kowas are heavier than the Doctors but they are built way better. You don't want to use the carbon fiber tripods because of the vibration. The only thing that takes some getting used to is the angled eye pieces. The Outdoorsmans stocks the Kowas and the heavy Bogen tripods. I like mine so much I even packed them in with me last year on an over night scouting trip. The binos and tripod together weigh close to 30lbs!!!!!

Darr Colburn

I have a pair of the Kowa Big Eyes. They are unbelievable!!!!!!!!!! I have used the Doctor 40's and there is no comparison in my opinion. The Kowas are crisp and clear all the way to the edge of the field of view. I think the field of view was better with the Kowas as well. The Kowas come with 32X eye pieces but you can also get 20X & 50X eye pieces as well. The Kowas are heavier than the Doctors but they are built way better. You don't want to use the carbon fiber tripods because of the vibration. The only thing that takes some getting used to is the angled eye pieces. The Outdoorsmans stocks the Kowas and the heavy Bogen tripods. I like mine so much I even packed them in with me last year on an over night scouting trip. The binos and tripod together weigh close to 30lbs!!!!!

Darr Colburn

World record quote, Darr as far as credible info.....thanks. I appreciate the help from all of you gentlemen. I'm still sortin' out my hunts for this fall...........all will break me but I REALLY want one of these. I'll let you know.

C

Guest RutNHard

Thanks Darr I was just putting my money together to buy the Doctors and I think I will be purchasing KOWAS now.

I just spoke to a buddy last night and he picked up the Kowas with the ED glass. He is waiting for his 50X eyepieces to come in. He said he could see some astronaut taking a leak on the moon! I told him that they should be illegal! Man, I would like a set of those.