TAM

DLC Covert II

Several months ago Amanda sent me a DLC Covert II trail camera with a security box for testing and a performance review. After putting it to the test I'd like to report my findings.

I have used no less than 10 different trail camers over the years and this camera is by far the smallest one. It measures about 3.5 inches by 5.5 inches. It runs on 4-8 AA batteries, has IR-LED for night time use, no flash to spook game, 3 MP or 5 MP image capture, Video capture, and it runs on SD cards. I was also provided with a metal security box to keep it safe while in use. The security box is professionally made to fit the camera and screws and locks to a tree using a python type lock.

The DLC Covert II sets up a little differently than I have been used to with an external remote control keyboard that plugs into the camera. The remote walks the user through the set up process which, after reading the instruction manual is simple and easy to do. After customzing your user settings you hang the camera on the tree and flip the switch to "On" and you're good to go.

I set the camera out for two months so I could get a good "real life" test on battery life. Upon returning I found that the batteries lasted 37 days and took 1,380 pictures. Approximatley two thirds of the pictures were taken at night with the LED's drawing more power. That's a lot of night time pic's on 8 Duracel AA batteries! I could only guess that the camera would last closer to 60 days and 2,000 pic's if so many of them weren't at night.

I honestly haven't spent much time using the Video setting. Partly because I haven't had the opportunity and partly because I prefer the picture settings. For my next set I will probably give it a try.

Overall this camera is different than anything I've ever used before, and I mean that in a good way! It's smaller which will hide it from dirty thieves better. It's got a reasonably fast trigger at under 1.2 seconds. The 24 LED's really give it good night time range. It also has sensitivity adjustments, time and date stamping, and excellent battery life. It seems to be constructed well and comes with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

The only possible negative I can come up with is that while the security box is good and solid it kind of gives the user a false sense of security. I know for a fact that a cheap pair of bolt cutters will cut right through the python lock that holds the box/camera to the tree. The bottom line is that if a dirty theif wants your camera, security box or not, they're going to get it. ALWAYS HIDE YOUR CAMERAS!

The only suggestion that I would make to the DLC Covert guys is making a way to enter in a unique securtiy code into each camera so that if a sucky thief does end up with your camera at least you will sleep better knowing they can't use it without knowing the security code.

These really are great cameras! If anyone has any questions please feel free to post them up or PM me.

Thanks Amanda!

Here's a few pic's. I never did get any monster deer or elk, but these should give you an idea what the picture quality is like. That deer in the first picutre is probably 25-30 yards from the camera, I was impressed with it's range!

post-25-1244493571_thumb.jpg

post-25-1244493631_thumb.jpg

post-25-1244493699_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tim for the review.

Although I have not bought any YET

another suggestion I would make is the

ability to add external solar panel.

That is a feature I love with my Moultries.

I would guess it has a multiple picture setting.

Do you know how quick it will take another pic?

I get allot of empty pictures now when a animal

is just walking past at closer range.

Thanks Tim for the review.

Although I have not bought any YET

another suggestion I would make is the

ability to add external solar panel.

That is a feature I love with my Moultries.

I would guess it has a multiple picture setting.

Do you know how quick it will take another pic?

I get allot of empty pictures now when a animal

is just walking past at closer range.

It does have the ability to plug in a moultrie solar panel. I haven't used one on it yet, but it's got the connection for it.

I usually find it's about 3-4 seconds between a series of pics. So if for example, I have it set to take three photos for each trigger, then it will take one at 1.2 seconds after the animal triggers the sensor, then the 2nd pic will be 3 seconds later and the third will be 4 seconds later after that one. Seems like it's 3 seconds between first two pics and 4 seconds for the third. Maybe TAM tried the three shot photo burst setting and can let us know what he found out.

here are two in a series (notice time elapsed is three seconds)

post-1-1244504454.jpg

post-1-1244504462.jpg

here are two of a lion (three seconds)

post-1-1244504663_thumb.jpg

post-1-1244504682.jpg

Amanda

• Like 1

Thanks Amanda but the last three don't mean squat <_<

Clay is SLOW moving :rolleyes:

A order is forthcoming but I have something in the works

pending before I can let loose of any money right now :unsure:

Yes, as Amanda pointed out it does have the three shot capeabilities. In my opinion with the SD cards having 2 or more gigs of memory there is no reason not to set it to three shots. I've had numerous pictures in the past that showed a promising lookin buck that moved away before another picture could be taken. The three shot option can often solve that anoying problem.

Mike, I know the solar panel is a practical solution to paying the price for batteries, but in my opinion it acts like a signal beacon leading scum bag theives right to your expensive camera. I'd rather pay a little extra for batteries and keep the camera well hidden than have to buy a new camera when a puke theif takes it. Just my .02 :)

Here's an example of a three shot series of two bucks fighting like does.

post-25-1244517073_thumb.jpg

post-25-1244517951_thumb.jpg

post-25-1244517995_thumb.jpg

I am just waiting for Clay to see the photos of him in this post. Hope he doesn't come over and let the air out the tires in my jeep for posting those!! :D

I like your series TAM!

Amanda

Heck I just now saw them. You are in for it now Amanda. HEHE :P :D

Troubleshooting question. Covert II

Retrieved my camera yesterday and when I plug in the remote to change the settings it just lit up on the remote screen. No words just the blue light!!!! I changed the batteries in cam and still no luck. Any ideas what may be wrong?

Thanks

Sometimes it's the SD card. You might try swapping the card with another one. If you get the blue screen, it usually means the camera doesn't have either batteries or the SD card working. And sometimes it is just a matter of taking the SD card out and reseating it, but sometimes you have to change the card. And then as Bonecollector mentioned, sometimes it just means it needs new batteries. It's also possible the cord on the remote isn't getting a good connection...in which case a new remote would likely fix that.

Amanda do you have any of these remotes for sale?

You can get a replacement remote for free from the DLC company. You have to specify which camera it's for and whether it's the black remote or the white remote. I might have one extra white remote on hand, but I am not sure, so better to get one from the company.

Here's how you can contact Covert Scouting Cameras:

Phone: (877) 462-1799

Fax: (877) 232-1556

Email: info@dlccovert.com

Mailing Address: Covert Scouting Cameras Inc.

4338 Greenridge Spa Road

Lewisburg, KY 42256