Sign in to follow this  
Paso Robles

California Pig Hunting

Bill, The Eade ranch is just north of San Ardo, I am not sure if they still commercially hunt it or have a hunt club on it now. As the crow flies it cant be more than 15 miles to the ranch where Bret stayed and killed his pigs.

I thought the terrain looked familiar. Is the region still overpopulated with deer?

Bill Quimby

Bill, Like many western states, deer numbers are way down in the last 10 years. Still some decent bucks around, but the good ones are much harder to come by. The Tule elk have really taken off in this area. We get one PLM tag a year for Tule bulls.

If Bret would have kept focused and looked for pigs instead of glassing up turkeys, deer and elk......................maybe we would have seen more pigs.

Jim

Bret/Jim --

When I was there years ago, there were deer literally everywhere. In fact, we had to buzz the dirt airstrip on the ranch twice to run the deer off it so we could land the Cessna!

Unfortunately, I had only an afternoon and a morning to hunt and good bucks were scarce. I passed up maybe 75-80 bucks before I shot one. Thirty minutes after that, I shot the first adult boar (we had been seeing a lot of them while deer hunting) we came across, I quickly caped both of them, and flew back to San Jose, where I had to run to catch my flight to Tucson.

I arrived home that night with my hunting boots still wet from dragging my boar out of a pond it had flopped into as it died.

Bill Quimby

Bill, The deer numbers are nowhere near that any longer. Pig population fluctuates with the rainfall and as I said before our tule elk population has taken off in this area. Here are the bulls we have taken in the last few years.

post-693-1246413102_thumb.jpg

2007 Tule Bull 277 S.C.I.

post-693-1246413340_thumb.jpg

2008 Tule Bull 299 S.C.I/