DUG

Bowstrings

I have an '06 Mathews Switchback XT. It is now about 3 years old. I have 2 archery elk hunts this fall. My bowstring is the original and according to Mathews, they put on the Zebra bowstring at the factory. I'm wondering if I should get it replaced soon or could I make it through my 2 hunts. Nothing seems to be wrong with it that I can tell. And if I replace it, what string is recommended? I'm still an archery newbie and want to hear what more experienced people have to say.

I would replace the string and cable. If the strings are original, they are very stretched and your bow is probably out of time. I just replaced mine and before the new strings I was only getting 65 lbs draw on a 70 pound bow. After new strings, I am pulling 72 and my bow is timed correctly. Go with a winners choice or stone mountain string. They stretch far less than the stock mathews zebra strings. Good luck on your hunts. I too will be chasing bull elk this september in 6a. B)

Examine it thoroughly, if no major wear and tear exists and you are shooting broad heads how you want, then I would leave it alone. Once you make adjustments to your bowstring you will usually have to re tune your bow even if just a small amount. If you are not happy with the tune of your bow or looking at changing something anyway THEN I would replace it with a better string. I had the zebra string on my XT for about 3 months and then put winners choice on it and was impressed immediately and shot more consistently. I just hate messing with my bow unless I got plenty of time to make it right before I hunt.

Examine it thoroughly, if no major wear and tear exists and you are shooting broad heads how you want, then I would leave it alone. Once you make adjustments to your bowstring you will usually have to re tune your bow even if just a small amount. If you are not happy with the tune of your bow or looking at changing something anyway THEN I would replace it with a better string. I had the zebra string on my XT for about 3 months and then put winners choice on it and was impressed immediately and shot more consistently. I just hate messing with my bow unless I got plenty of time to make it right before I hunt.

This is what I would do. Then after this year if you shoot your bow on a regular basis I would replace the string every year. If you don't shoot it alot replace it as needed but not longer than two years between strings.

Thanks for the advice guys. The bow hasn't been shot a whole lot. Not sure how many arrows shot is considered a lot. It still puts arrows where I want. I'm trying to shoot about 100 arrows a week before the 1st hunt on Sept.1. If something seems funky I'll get it changed before the Nov. hunt.

Winners choice if changing.

Kent

+1

+ 2

Also, make sure you are using string wax every time you shoot. It will make your string last much longer.

Guest 300ultramag.

If you switch strings save the old just in case you nic the bowstring witha broadhead....... youll be back in the game in no time!

winners choice! I went back to the zebras not by choice..... too long of a wait for the WC string so I went with what was available at the time. Zebra :(

winners choice or double helix

definately change the strings! two years is a long time not to change your strings. I prefer Vapor Trail strings no stretch at all!! and they are pretty affordable, but thats just my .02 cents :D

I would check your specs to make sure they haven't stretched. Measure your brace height, tiller, axle-to-axle and see if they are in line with where they should be. Those Zebra strings are notorious for stretching. If they have stretched, replace with any of the strings that have been mentioned, they're all quality.