josh

Camo job on my AR-15

Got the nerve up this weekend to take off the camo tape and do a sponge job on my coyote gun. It was alot easier to do than I thought.

Looks good.....dont lay it down in the grass, you might not find it again.

Looks great, mind sharing how you did it, type of sponges, paint, etc...

+1

Very cool! I love it! I have been wanting to do a camo paint job on one of my rifles and was going to start a post for suggestions on how to go about it.

-Tracy

Thanks for the compliments I am real happy how it came out. It is pretty simple I first cleand the entire rifle with acetone to get off all the oil and stickem left from the camo tape I had on it. Then taped off the things I didn't want paint on like the power adjustment on scope, and scope lenses. Next I took off the grip and trigger. The grip because I didn't know if the paint would work well on the Ergo grip which is rubber.

Next I painted the entire gun with Rustoleum Camo spay paint from The Depot it comes in four colors that I could find. The first coat was khaki I hit it a couple times because I didn't use a primer( I have read where guys use a self etching primer first but it really doesn't seem necessary) Next I used the dark green in a candy cane stripe pattern on the rifle. Let dry and then used a real sea sponge and dipped it in the lite green and dabbed it on the dark green and khaki. Next was the dark brown this I did not use as heavy. Third I used the khaki and dark green to blend everything together. Last step was to apply a krylon matte finish to help protect.

Hope this helps. As I read somewhere else the hard part is getting up the nerve to push the button for the first time.

Looks good Josh! What kind of paint did you use?

Bucky if you want to do your gun up I have plenty of paint left but it will cost you in hides next season ;)

hard part is getting up the nerve to push the button your not kidding wow