catclaw

Fee Increases for next year

Has anyone seen the fee increases that are supposed to be levied on us next year? $3200 for an elk tag (non-resident), $150 for a deer tag, $30 for a javelina tag. On top of that, increases for all professional licenses- a guide's license is $500.

I didn't think that the cap voted on by the legislature was anywhere near this high!

I don't have the paper in front of me so I don't know all the fees, but they all went up A BUNCH.

Elk res- $350

Antelope- $90

Bear- $30

Pig- $30

Turkey- $25

Lion- $19

Sheep- $335/ $3000

App fee- $10

A new structure for deer and elk with "A" tags and "B" tags- whatever these are. This is the list sent out on G&F letterhead. Sounds like the legislature approved it.

I don't have the letter in front of me so I can read it verbatim.

Let's see what shakes out this coming week.

I would have to say.... there is no way that is gonna happen next year. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

hello - http://www.azgfd.gov/temp/documents/AGFDPr...creases_000.pdf

scroll down and read the proposed fees plus application processing fee of 7.50 are the 2009 rates ---the statutory fee's - these are the ones to worry about for next yr. - not sure what the class A/B elk deer are - cuz the b rates are what we paid - i think the A rate is if they go to a trophy hunt ! - Gary

I've deleted what i previously posted.

Guides, have you reviewed the packet you probably just got in the mail? THIS IS INSANE!

$500, seriously???, 24 months ago it was $100, that's crazy! Are there too many guides around?

This, and the BLM, forest circus fee increases, could shut some guys down.

BLM fees for an average guided hunt on BLM land could approach $600!!!!

$3000 for nos res Sheep, $3200 for Elk!!!

5% of our tags are now "premium" class A hunts? Who says premium? Just draw odds?

I guess our draw odds will go up, when we loose 1/2 the hunters in the state, in a few years.

Recruitment and retention might shut us down.

The letters are Dated May 5, 2009. The legislature sets the caps for the fees. The commission approves the fee increases within the cap set by law. The current guide's license fee is $300. The letter doesn't answer any questions- basically it just says that they passed a new law that lets them revoke the guides that file their reports late- which many, many guides do as the dates required aren't realistic. They just have to re-take the stupid test each year. Now they will probably hold their feet to the fire with this new law.

The rest is just a generic update of all the changes with no explanations accompanying. I don't know what the A and B tier are other than the A tags cannot exceed 5% of the B tags??

Non-resident elk for a B tag goes up to $775. Buffalo was NOT addressed at all so I assume it remains unchanged.

The letters are Dated May 5, 2009. The legislature sets the caps for the fees. The commission approves the fee increases within the cap set by law. The current guide's license fee is $300. The letter doesn't answer any questions- basically it just says that they passed a new law that lets them revoke the guides that file their reports late- which many, many guides do as the dates required aren't realistic. They just have to re-take the stupid test each year. Now they will probably hold their feet to the fire with this new law.

The rest is just a generic update of all the changes with no explanations accompanying. I don't know what the A and B tier are other than the A tags cannot exceed 5% of the B tags??

Non-resident elk for a B tag goes up to $775. Buffalo was NOT addressed at all so I assume it remains unchanged.

Thanks Catclaw, I was reading and editing when you posted, My edited post is above.

I'm a good example of the the last report, I mailed mine on the 7th this year, and left for mexico for three weeks.

It arrived on the 11th, and I had to take the test again.

The AZGFD keeps talking about opportunity, recruitment and retention and they are about to put big game hunting out of reach for the common folk! A father who wants to enjoy an elk hunt with a couple of his kids? It's almost out of reach at the current tag prices, let alone w/ the current economic state.

How much $ has been taken from the AZGFD's budget/surplus to put in the state's general fund over the past few years!

If there's enough $ for the state to take from the AZGFD each year, they certainly don't have any business raising tag/license fees in the name of "wildlife management"

I don't get it.

Schmitty

Sounds like a good plan to me

In a few years when the game populations explode and the animals start dying due to starvation, the legislature will see the error of their ways. In their infinite wisdom they will raise the license fees further so they can use the money to hire "professionals" to undertake depredation game reductions o protect the environment.

If everyone would just relax and not fight this, we'll see shortly that Government has us all taken care of. :o :o

an increase is fine with me, especially for non residence. charge them up the a$$ ! less people will put in, more oportunity for me!

This all just seems to be right in line with our new form of Government in this country. It costs a lot more money to run big government. Half the reason we currently have such large budget shortfalls in government agencies is that we expanded them to much during the good economic times. Now that we have contraction the agencies are to large to operate without siginificant cut backs or changes in fee structures (taxes).

... Here comes your change!

Wake up. America is bankrupt. "fees" are going to skyrocket on everything, not just tags. It has nothing to do with game management or anything except trying to pay for big gov't. G&F will take in this money and the the State will sweep it into the general fund eventually.

We have much bigger problems than this right now. 1 of every 5 adults will be out of work by the end of the year. With income tax revenue being cut dramatically, Gov't will have to get their $ from other "taxes". fees for all permits, inspections, etc will be going up. Look for USFS fees to go up, more gas taxes, new fees to use your public land. We have already seen it. Tonto Pass, ATV licensing, increase in permit fees to access state trust land, etc. Most if not all of this money will end up at the state Capital.

Desertbull hit it dead on. Everything always goes full circle, and we the people, will always pay the price for the shortcomings of our leadership.

Desertbull hit it dead on. Everything always goes full circle, and we the people, will always pay the price for the shortcomings of our leadership.

+1

This is where we've been headed for a few years now.

The average working hunter who has been the backbone of the game and fish department is being slowly phased/priced out.

We'll just be left with the scraps... late december archery cow elk hunts, and october "1000 hunters in the field for a 3 day weekend" deer hunts.

The average guy from out of state who'd love to come here for a once-in-a-lifetime elk hunt is screwed.

Theres another post on this forum showing the beautiful pictures of our children and future hunters. Whats it going to be like for them?