Guest 300ultramag.

Recipes while out in the sticks...

For breakfast, one can pre-cook scrambled eggs, pototoes , cheese, green cilies and what not. Freeze in a freezer ziplock and then just heat in boiling water in the morning. Use the water for coffee, tea or hot chocolate. (sorry, I do not have a travel trailer, generator and microwave)

Dinner- often heat Stouffers lasagna or such in a covered pan of slow boiling water for 30 minutes while enjoying a beverage and horsie-dervies.

Try to get some complex carbs, fat and protein in the meals.

Cook/grill easy stuff to minimize dish washing and maximize hunting and sack time.

A friend would just put some cold water in a pack of instant oatmeal and slog it down. yuk.

• Like 1

Some good ideas on here--I'll have to keep some of these ideas in mind. I'm a big fan of good food all the time, but it can really keep your spirits up on a tough hunt.

One thing we always do for dinner is buy the pre-made "freezer bag" meals. There are about a dozen entrees and all you have to do is dump the contents into a frying pan and it's done in about 10 minutes. 2 bags feed 3 guys about right. Add potato chips, macaroni salad from the deli, etc and it's a new meal every night in under 10 minutes. The only downside over the vacuum packed home-made meals is that there's a pan to clean up and they're about $5-6 apiece.

For breakfast we do oatmeal or some kind of breakfast bar, but I've found the Quaker oatmeal bars hold up well and are almost like instant oatmeal, except portable. Lunch is a bagel sandwich (bagels don't smash as easy) or whatever gets dug out of the cooler in camp. And plenty of snacks to make sure we don't come back lighter than we left!

This last elk season, my father-in-law introduced me to ARIZONA GUNSLINGER. It is not your ordinary hot sauce, Arizona Gunslinger has amazing taste and goes great on just about anything. I love this stuff and It's even better that it comes from arizona. After last elk season, I wont go on a hunting or camping trip without it.

gunslinger.gif

• Like 1

Like these ideas. I Always take extra aluminum foil and put a double laying in the bottom of the pot or pan. No dishes. Love me some Dinty Moore stew!!!

• Like 1

We prefer to grill: steaks, pork chops, chicken breasts, burgers, brauts,

We also boil veggies: corn, potatos

Bagged salad is super tasty after a hard day in the field. We try to avoid doing dishes as much as possible.

Dutch oven liners rock!!!!

for breakfast i like some chorizo - spicy. just wrap a good flour tortilla around it and chomp it down. quality flour tortillas are hard to find so i make my own. they may be weird shaped but theyre tasty and clean. for dinner i like a good steak. nothing special on it. just a plain steak with salt and pepper and a good sebolla and of course a tortilla. simple guy = simple meal.

disfruta compa!

• Like 1

Another good breakfast in camp are chilaquiles.

A traditional way to make another dish with eggs, enchilada sauce, cheese, and tortilla chips.

I have a way to make em up quick and they certanly stick to your ribs for some good energy throughout the day.

Everything tastes better in the field.

• Like 2

Another good breakfast in camp are chilaquiles.

A traditional way to make another dish with eggs, enchilada sauce, cheese, and tortilla chips.

I have a way to make em up quick and they certanly stick to your ribs for some good energy throughout the day.

Everything tastes better in the field.

yes chilaquiles!!! tu si sabes chef. but i use corn tortillas for mine and they dont "stick" around for too long. im hungry now. youre right about food in the field. a baloney sandwich tastes soo good at the top of a mountain.

Great post, I can hardly wait to start camping, let alone camping while hunting. Regardless of the meal, it will 100 times better than what I eat at home.

That being said, pre cooked hot and spicy chicken wings(just throw em on the smoky mesquite fire to warm them up), jalapeno poppers, either rib eye or some other quality cut of meat (I'm not picky), cowboy burgers are always great, unless you forget about them that is. There have been a few that said Crown and Coke which is hard to beat, I like mine with Sierra Mist, otherwise I'll take Captain and Coke.

Peanut butter tortillas cannot be beat. Can be eaten anytime. Add cheese if you like. Jack and Pepper will sedate you just right.

For the most part, I’m a “seal-a-meal, boiling bag guy.

I make up my favorite meals, and seal them up in large servings in boiling bags.

I leave a large pot of water on the Coleman, return to camp late, and start the stove and throw in a bag.

Then, take off boots, open a beer and dinner is hot & ready.

Some of my favorites;

Jambalaya, with shrimp, chicken and HOT sausage.

Slow smoked, BBQ pork shoulder over dirty rice .

Kielbasa with roasted red peppers, onions and potatoes.

Chili Verde

Of course, we always have a steak night, Prime aged New Yorks or Ribeyes,

and a seafood night ( see photo in above post).

I like to use my dutch ovens for at least one meal. Dinner is Hamburger Caserole, Dessert is Apple and Cherry Cobbler.

Dinner: 1 lb ground beef lightly browned, chopped onion (I get a large bag from Smart and Final), crushed fritos, shredded sharp cheddar cheese.

1st layer: browned burger

2nd layer: chopped onion

3rd layer: crushed fritos

4th layer: shredded cheese

Repeat: for 5,6,7 & 8 If you like garlic you can included minced in your recipe

7-8 briquettes on bottom, 12-15 on lid. About 45 minutes. Start prepping cobbler while dinner cooks.

Dessert: 1 can apple pie filling, 1 can cherry pie filling, 1 white or yellow cake mix, 1 can 7 UP, crushed cinnamon.

Pour apple pie filling in bottom of dutch oven and sprikle liberally with cinnamon

Combine cake mix and cherry pie filling using 7 UP as needed

Pour the mix on top of apple pie filling.

7-8 briquettes on bottom 10 to 12 on top. About 45 minutes. You nose should tell you when it's ready

Enjoy

Guest 300ultramag.
Just simple, easy to prepare food

Just simple, easy to prepare food

lobster.jpg

got on here to get my old burrito recipe and saw this!!!! did you harvest these??? man that would be a great dinner for a trophy hunt! i would imagine the shelf life is short?