Str8Shot

Native Resident proposal

Oh yeah and after you have your loyalty point don't make a mistake and mess up an app or deadline or it is lost for another 5 attempts

If I miss a payment on my credit card, fill out a check wrong, or fail to see a red light, I pay the consequences. I'm sad for people that mess up their apps (I have done so in the past, and wanted to smack myself), but human mistake is part of life, and should cause us all to double, triple, quadruple check our apps.

I would not support this in any way, shape or form.. Aweful idea..

Besides, I've been VERY generous to this State's Game Dept since moving here in 2003.. lifetime licsense, ALL of the draws, etc...

I think they should just phase out the entire BP system. Like most Gov't, It's become to complicated and bogged down to work properly.

The whole Point here is trying to find out how long people here have hunted AZ and how long they have been here in the state and if they were born here ... if your telling me that someone who has had a hunting/fishing licence in this state for 30 plus years and been let down countless times on big game draws year after year does not deserve some consideration from someone who has been here for 5 years that seems crazy ...I am not talking apples and oranges I am not talking to the non hunters here .... this is on an AZ hunters forum not just and AZ forum I am asking this question to hunters who may have an opinion that is all...

Absolutely, the guy that has put in for 30 consecutive year without being drawn should receive preference over the guy who has only put in for 5 years. And that's exactly what the current system does. But your proposal wasn't based on the number of years someone has applied - it was based on the number of years a person is a resident. Any system should insure there is no way a non-hunter could get more consideration over an active hunter. Giving points based on nothing more than residency gives every 30 year resident "do gooder" preference over 5 year resident hunters. And if you don't believe a "do gooder" wouldn't apply for a tag to keep it out of the hands of someone who will actually use it I would suggest you review some of the more aggresive animal rights web-sites.

I have lived here for all of my 26 years and have put in for the draws every year since I was 10 years old. Some very good points made by all but if we are looking to give preference or advantage to those who have supported the AZGFD throughout the years then I don't think that length of residency is a good determining factor. There are many people who have been AZ residents for many years that have never contributed any kind of support toward AZGFD. If they decide now that they want to start hunting should they get higher preference? You also have to consider that there may be nonresidents that put in for the draw for the past 25 or so years that may love this state but because of other obligations can not live here. Should they not get higher preference because they are not a resident even though they have contributed thousands of dollars to the AZGFD over the years. :unsure:

I would lean more toward an addition to the loyalty point system that we have now. Something like Scoutem mentioned, a loyalty bonus point for every five years you have put in. That seems like a pretty fair way to give preference based on your support/contibutions to the AZGFD.

-Tracy

Sorry if you misunderstood I thought I cleared it up on an earlier post I am talking hunters this is a hunters forum personally don't think that most that have not hunted for the last 30 or 40 years would not worry to much about getting into it now ....

i don't like any kind of "entitlements". So even though I've lived here for over 30 years, I would not support this.

Red Rabbit If you read it right what this group discussed is based on years not actually been born in the state and the loyalty point is after 5 failed draw attempts per species ... SO my buddy that hunted exclusivly archery for 17 years and now has to put in for his favorite archery hunts has no Loyalty point ... how is that fair to him ?

I am one of them guys that exclusively hunts archery deer. It has been a lot of years since I rifle hunted for deer. Quite a few years ago, I could see the writing on the wall, archery deer was soon going to a draw. So I started buying bonus points. Now I have nearly two hand full of points and a loyalty point for when the time comes I can use them. There was nothing stopping him from buying points while exclusively archery hunting.

Brian

( A person hunting archery deer for the last 15 years who now has to put in for a draw on prime archery hunts should not have to wait for 5 failed attempts to get 1 loyalty bonus point) ...

Thanks

Chris

Not sure I would be behind this or not, it would take a lot of discussing and ironing out lots of details before I would back it. Besides, like most on here said, G&F aint gonna buy it, it does not benefit them in any way. Anyways, our draw system is a mess and bonus points mean nothing, it's all luck of the draw anyway.

F.Y.I. The loyalty bonus point is given to you for applying at least once for that species for five years. It has nothing to to with successful or unsuccessful attempts.

R12-4-107

Bonus Point System

A. For the purpose of this Section, the following definitions

apply:

1. “Bonus point hunt number” means the hunt number

assigned by the Commission in a Commission Order

for use by an applicant applying only for a bonus

point for a genus identified in this Section; and

2. “Loyalty bonus point” means a bonus point

awarded to an individual who has submitted a valid

application for a hunt permit-tag or a bonus point

for a specific genus identified in subsection B

at least once annually for a consecutive five-year

period.

Wow. Isn't 90% of the tags guaranteed for residents (plus however many draw into the 10%) enough?

Maybe you should increase the number of tags to native americans because they have been here the longest....

native americans what the point scale for that any ideas

I like the ideas that form after all draws are done :P anyways I think this wouldn't work with all the law suits that would follow :D

We all know how much they can cost and do to hunts :angry: :angry: :angry: Have I lived here long Hum let me think about that Last Name is Higley and live in HIGLEY, ARIZONA!

I have 8 points and know many more hunters with more than that. So adding a point or two to my draw odds will not change the game much anyways in my opinion. You will get drawn when your lucky butt gets drawn and i still will be waiting i am sure. It is all luck . I do not see that my 8 points have helped me at all.

Man I hope this don't jinx me 'cause I have been fairly lucky in the draws and I don't mind the current system but here is my opinion.

I think the fairest way personally is to have a percentage set aside for non-residents, whatever that percentage may be. There, non-residents done.

Residents have no preference, no bonus points, neither do non-residents, its strictly the luck of the draw. Pull the name out of the hat, its done. If you draw, you draw, if you don't you don't.

Isn't this New Mexico's system?