Str8Shot

Native Resident proposal

Very interesting discussion....

Personally, I think the system is pretty solid, but how does everyone feel about squaring your bonus points. I believe Utah possibly does this, and it seems like a great idea to me. I think this way the people at the bottom have a very slim chance for at least a while for "Trophy Hunts". But, their not thrown under the bus either. I believe people who have been waiting and waiting should get preference and I believe squaring points would help out a lot.

I don't think any hunter deserves preference over another, other than the price of tag. I believe the long wait should be the criteria for change.

I'm quite happy with the way it is. :D

TJ

I am for a change in the system as well but like most of the posts not sure which is the best. I do know a close friend of mine drew an early archery bull tag in unit 1 last year and sure enough he drew early archry bull in 27 this year.......something is wrong

If the bonus point system worked I would be all for the change. But I want proof that the system works. Like a tag maybe :P :P

As of now I think I would just be more bitter because I would have even more points then I do now and still would not have a tag. :lol:

I am for a change in the system as well but like most of the posts not sure which is the best. I do know a close friend of mine drew an early archery bull tag in unit 1 last year and sure enough he drew early archry bull in 27 this year.......something is wrong

You got that right!!! I have guys I know that get drawn for the same unit I put in for almost every year and I just get another point YAHOO! :lol:

You got that right!!! I have guys I know that get drawn for the same unit I put in for almost every year and I just get another point YAHOO! :lol:

I agree. That shows a huge problem with our system and that points mean nothing. It's all luck, and I don't see this proposal doing anything to help. I know a couple of guys that drew archery bull tags 3 years in a row, thats wrong!!

Richard

This topic seems to come up every year after the draw. I can certainly relate to the letdown of not being drawn.

If you want to hunt, you need to get drawn. To draw a tag you need to play the odds. If all you want is a prime December Tag, then the best of luck to you. Considering that they drastically lowered the available December permits, draw odds for those hunts just took a serious nosedive.

I get drawn for deer every year. Second choice this year, 1st choice last year, and third and fourth choices the prior 4 years.

If you play the odds to your favor you can get a tag every year, even though it may not be a primo tag. Or you can get a leftover in overcrowded units ;)

The draw was decent to me this year, but next year it might not.

Then there are some folks on here that draw an elk tag 399 times in a row, I won't mention any names :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol:

Nothing a wait period coun't fix. In Utah if you are successful for a premium hunt you have to wait I believe 3 yrs to be eligible again. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

I agree. That shows a huge problem with our system and that points mean nothing. It's all luck, and I don't see this proposal doing anything to help. I know a couple of guys that drew archery bull tags 3 years in a row, thats wrong!!

Richard

Bonus points do work and do mean something. Bonus points increase your odds, they do not guaranty you will be drawn. You have to understand that its still the luck of the draw.

Lets say you and I put our names on a piece of paper and put them in a hat. We draw a piece of paper and your name comes up so next time I get to put two pieces of paper with my name on it in the hat and you only get one. We draw again and your name comes up again. So next time I get three pieces of paper with my name on it and you still only get one. This could go on and on for ever untill I have 100 pieces of paper with my name on it, in the hat, and you only have one. Even though it would be highly unlikely because the odds are very much in my favor, it is still possible for your name to be pulled out and not mine.

Just like a guy who buys 1000 lottery tickets, his odds are better than the guy who only buys one but it still comes down to the luck of the draw.

-Tracy

Ummm, thats pretty much what I was saying, but thanks for the lesson of the day... :( :P

I think everybody knows how they work and what they maybe are supposed to do, but thats not always what happens, like we both said, it's luck of the draw. There are plenty of things they could do that would be better than the current system. I am and have always been for a waiting period, you draw a bull tag or a premium tag of any kind, you can't put in for two or three years. Those of us that wait alot longer than that it wouldn't make a difference anyway..

Nothing a wait period coun't fix. In Utah if you are successful for a premium hunt you have to wait I believe 3 yrs to be eligible again. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

I am all for a waiting period system, for deer,elk, and antelope.

Then there are some folks on here that draw an elk tag 399 times in a row, I won't mention any names :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol:

:o :unsure:

TJ

Let's say a person gets drawn for an early bull tag in a unit that has only 25 permits. :rolleyes:

Most Early Bull hunts have a ton of applicants (as do all prime hunts) so if there was a 3 year waiting period, there are only going to be 75 fewer people after the 3rd year of the system and each following year that could potentially put in for that unit or hunt.

If we were to take the number of all the early bull hunts and discount those who drew for the next 3 years, it is still a very minimal amount of hunters. There is still competition with 1000's of people for a very limited amount of tags. <_<

With December whitetail tags being significantly reduced, the same would apply to them, just as mentioned above. Still a minute amount of people being sidelined for a few years. <_<

The draw odds do not go up substantially :( just the satisfaction of some, knowing that the guy that drew last year has no odds of getting the tag again for the next three years.

It may be significant enough for elk hunts, if a person draws a bull tag, they are exempt from drawing another bull tag for 3 years. This may help odds a bit more.

However, for Antelope and deer it would be difficult to put a dent in the odds. For antelope, there are just too few permits available :( . I don't think it would be a good idea for recruitment or retention to exempt thousands of people for three years just because they drew a deer tag, as they are all for antlered game <_<