Sign in to follow this  
taxdrmyJoe

calling elk

Well As Archery Elk season gets closer and closer I often pick up my elk calls and annoy everyone in the house by practicing.... Wanted to know what calls do you prefer? is it a hand call,diaphram call "hoochie mama?? and if have had good luck with a particular one.

I went last year (best elk hunt I ever had). Anyway I used the Primos terminator worked well to locate bulls, then I was using mouth calls to get them in closer, that worked well (as you would expect). But it’s such a low sounding call that it (I think) works well when that dream elk is about 60 yards away and you need to close the distance (and being hands free) . I used hoochie mama for the first 3 days and I felt like it did not work well I think the big bulls were familiar with that sound. I would get a bull to come in about 80 to 60 yards and he would turn around and leave. And that happened to me about 3 times first 2 days.

My cousin had shot a nice bull on the third day of hunt and he told me that he was using the Primos Hot Lips with Tone Converter Elk Call

(This is not a promo for Primos) so naturally I asked him to use it and he showed me what to do and how make a good sound. I worked on my technique all night long at camp and let me tell you that night ( I was not even trying) I had called in 2 bulls (I think ) about 40 to 30 yards away (cool experience ). Next morning I did my sequence of calls shore enough first bull comes in about 50 yards (I let him go about a 250) moved to a spot about 1 mile away and the same thing happened I put that call (hot lips) to use and in about 15 min a bull shows up running and scramming like a had never seen before he got about 30 yards and I got a bad case of buck (bull) fever I hit a branch. Well the same thing happened about 2 hour latter this time I got my 305 bull.

I don’t know if I was using the hoochie mama incorrectly or it was to early into the hunt and the bulls were not rutting as hard but I can say that double reed hot lips works great.

good luck

I am sure everyone on the forum will have a different opinion on how and what call to use, but for my 2 cents buy an arsenal of calls and carry them with you! I use a different call for different situations, and I even place certain pieces of certain types of calls on other calls (mix and match). The best advice I can give is practice… practice…learn how your call sounds and learn to change it up….I have been in many different situations where one day a call will work and the next it won’t so know how to use them and don’t be afraid to mix it up…

Like mentioned in the above responce...I also had some great success with the hotlips last year.....

the hoochie momma worked great the first year it came out in 2002/2003 and bulls responded well to the call, ever since then the bulls got call savy to the hoochie momma and have not used it since, Hyper lip single with or without tone converter is the best, I have only used primos calls, me personally they sound the most realistic.

+1

The call that I like the best and have had the best luck with is this one. "here elk, here elky elky, here elk" You can use it loudly at first for a locater, then tone it way down with your hands when they are in close. Had lots of luck with that one. :lol: :P :rolleyes:

Sorry, I am in that kind of mood today, I couldn't resist!! :lol:

LOL