Sign in to follow this  
desertdog

Will we ever see it?

Some years back, a reliable source told me of a huge whietail that they saw on a backpacking trip in the Rincon mountains east of Tucson. The buck was seen at almost 9000' in elevation by Helen's Dome up in the black timber.

I think it will in the next 10 yrs as well.......right here in the great state of AZ! But WOW has the Stockwell buck proven it's worthiness....

Once a Coues deer gets 6 to 9 nine years old it seems their horns start to get gnarly for the most part and uneven somewhere along either side. Boone and Crockett takes points away for that. Stockwell's deer is fascinating in that it doesn't have all those deductions and is almost perfect symmetry wise. Will we see some true monsters killed in the future? Sure. Will one of them get big and old enough and retain the exact symmetry that Boone and Crockett scores by that Stockwell's buck has? Maybe, but I doubt it. More likely to see Non-typical or gross overall scores falling. Not net typical B&C scores.

Farming them in Mexico is already occurring and deer have been in Zoo's for years even with that I am not aware of any Net Typical deer bigger than Stockwell's. Maybe some of the guys who collect antlers can shed more light on this...

Bret M.

These "farming" operations worry me. How long before somebody starts breeding Texas or even Kansas whitetails to Coues deer? The first generation might not fool anybody, but the offspring bred back to another Coues just might work.

I also worry that here in southern Arizona certain ranches that cater to guided hunts could decide to buy some south Texas whitetails and turn them loose for clients from back East who wouldn't know the difference. Then they'd get into the wild breeding population and eventually we'd lose the separate classification status of the Coues.

I'm hoping there's an adequate DNA bank to help discourage this, but I don't know if that's possible.

Yes you will see it! In fact, you will see two of them, one from units 45's (big coues in there) and the other from Sonora Mexico. I can even tell you the name of the hunter that will take the one in Sonora if you want to.

Ernesto C :)

i think that if we go into remote areas like in unit 27 or unit 23 there are deer that have never smell a human being, the only thing is, are we willing to put in the time and effort to scout all year long those places with our busy schedules?

we live a busy life with family and work and other commitments but i think in those units could be the next world record.

Help me out, isnt that NM buck at 196" or so the new world record? If the stockwell buck is the current, I am sure in the next couple of years, that is possible to be broken..........AT.......

That's the top nontypical and was killed in AZ, and don't get me started on that can o' worms ;) Or the number 2 nontyp either.

I think it will happen within the next 10 years or so, it will come out of Mexico, and it won't be a farm deer. San Carlos is a great possibility too. Bulwidgeon, I agree the Stockwell buck is a freak in the fact of how big he is and how symetrical he stayed, but if it happened once... ;)

And Ernesto, please, enlighten us ;)

Help me out, isnt that NM buck at 196" or so the new world record? If the stockwell buck is the current, I am sure in the next couple of years, that is possible to be broken..........AT.......

That's the top nontypical and was killed in AZ, and don't get me started on that can o' worms ;) Or the number 2 nontyp either.

I think it will happen within the next 10 years or so, it will come out of Mexico, and it won't be a farm deer. San Carlos is a great possibility too. Bulwidgeon, I agree the Stockwell buck is a freak in the fact of how big he is and how symetrical he stayed, but if it happened once... ;)

First off yes Ernesto please let us in on who the hunter will be.

Second, okay Coues Sniper I am not trying to be a smart a$$ here but whats the deal with the first and second NT Coues. I really don't know the story I would love to hear what is up if its not to much trouble.

I second that on the #1 & 2 non typical complete F%$@!@%^&(BS) and Ernesto I to know the name of the next world record hunter as a matter of fact we just had a party at his house for CWT recently if he cant do it Who else can ;) ;)

Second, okay Coues Sniper I am not trying to be a smart a$$ here but whats the deal with the first and second NT Coues. I really don't know the story I would love to hear what is up if its not to much trouble.

Sorry to be the one to bring the thread here, but I am part of a pretty sizeable percentage of Coues hunters that believe the top 2 nontypical Coues deer are actually not Coues deer at all.

I know Jim is the man but............I dont know............. see I not suppose to say some things but I will give you a hint.........The next world record is going to be taken by and outfitter that sponsor this site. I cant tell you the hunter name right now............and/or a hunter from this forum will take it.

There you have it...a sponsor from this site and/or a hunter from this forum.

It can be Amanda, Coues Sniper, Ajo hunter, or why not? my self :)

Ernesto C

I know Jim is the man but............I dont know............. see I not suppose to say some things but I will give you a hint.........The next world record is going to be taken by and outfitter that sponsor this site. I cant tell you the hunter name right now............and/or a hunter from this forum will take it.

There you have it...a sponsor from this site and/or a hunter from this forum.

It can be Amanda, Coues Sniper, Ajo hunter, or why not? my self :)

Ernesto C

I guess we'll see when we see huh guys the secrets out apparently there must be a few monsters being watched !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bullwidgeon is correct about the antlers on Stockwell's buck.

I would bet my favorite straw hat that IF the Stockwell record is broken, the buck will be killed by someone who isn't an avid trophy hunter. He will come upon it, as Stockwell did his deer, by chance encounter and be lucky enough to collect it.

As for where it will come from, it is possible that it could come from any unit in Arizona, New Mexico or old Mexico.

A freak whitetail buck need survive only a mere five hunting seasons to reach optimum antler growth, and despite how deadly a predator we mere humans believe we are, I am convinced there are bucks of that age and older in every unit -- including the most heavily hunted units -- that have never been shot at by hunters and never will be.

Bill Quimby

Back to the typical coues WR, it will definately be broken in the next 3 -5 year IMO. I've seen deer coming out of sevaral units in the past few years that are really getting up there (but people are staying tight lipped about them - certainly not posting pix on the web) and I've heard from Sheep Guides in NM about some of the monsters they've seen from helicopters.

Coues are changing their habits, spreading higher into the moutain country every year. With more water, higher quality feed, more cover and less predation, we're going to start seeing coues grow much bigger than we have in the past. Not to mention these deer live where they can't really be glassed. The guys who hunt high, timber/transition areas can probably already attest to the size increase they've seen there.

Just look at the archery coues bucks that get posted here - more and more the congo bucks are in the pines with snow on the ground. 7 years ago who was hunting coues in January in the pines??? My guess is the next WR will be taken with a bow.

So guys, what's the skinny on the 1 & 2 nontyp?

I have kinda thought about this for sometime and I agree it will be broken within the next five years. I would V=venture to say that it will be killed in a northern unit possibly 6a, 6b or even 8. We just have to wait and see.