Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

2" or 4" Vanes

I am still kinda new to archery my uncle and myself have been talking about shooting 2" and 4" vanes, I am sure this has been talked about before with many of different opinions. I am asking what's the difference besides length, do 4" fly better? Are 2" faster?

4" ;) 4" ;) target shooting it is ok but when you put on a broadhead, 4" vanes help stablize the extra weight. when hunting, you have thermils, wind, rain and other items to effect your arrow. good luck!

4" ;) 4" ;) target shooting it is ok but when you put on a broadhead, 4" vanes help stablize the extra weight. when hunting, you have thermils, wind, rain and other items to effect your arrow. good luck!

I respectfully disagree. The two inch blazer type fletches are great at steering the low profile fixed blades and mechanicals. If you are using a zwicky or similar then 4" would be the mimnimum.

Bob

4" ;) 4" ;) target shooting it is ok but when you put on a broadhead, 4" vanes help stablize the extra weight.

i shoot the blazers and like them better than the 4 inch, but you shouldnt have extra weight when shooting the broadhead, unless bowhntr means more surface area or something. it should be the same grains as your field points. i had better broadhead flight with the blazers. plus they are super durable

i shoot the 2 inch AAE low profile shield cuts and they are awesome in all kinds of conditions especially with a mechanical broadhead, cant go wrong with the 2 in AAE's but thats just my 2 cents worth

With a 4" vane I prefered the Flex Fletch. Very durable and not prone to streching when shot half-way into or through a target. The negative is that the base needs to be cleaned well with acetone.

Now I prefer a blazer-style vane. Check out the Flex Fletch Flash.

http://www.flexfletch.com/flash1.htm

Another good option with broadheads and a dropaway rest are the FOBs

http://www.starrflight.com/

Doug~RR

If you decide to use the 2" vanes, give the Vane Tec's a look. I switched to them this year and couldnt be happier! :)

I use the vane tecs myself. Stick on the arrow better than blazers and cheaper as well. I used 4 inch vanes for years as well. They both work. It just comes down to personal preference.

Bob

Great points buy all. I have used 4" vanes for the 30 plus big game critters that I have harvested and have never had a problem with my combo of 100 grain muzzy with 4" vanes. I have seen a number of times when friends shoot a 2" vane mostly hunting in december and january and with blowing snow, wind or rain, shooting over 25 yards their accuracy went way down and with many missing shots. these are suppurb target shooters. My point is I would rather have a 10 per hour slower arrow and know that my set up will do the job when hunting elements change. like was said before to each there own. I would suggest trying both methods the next time we get a storm and go out a shoot a few of each and test for your self.

mike

Another vote for the 2" Blazers. Especially with broadheads. While shorter and lighter they are a little taller and stablize the broadhead faster in my experience. I shot 4" for years and had a bias against the blazers for some reason - I guess I thought they were a gimmick. When I started tuning a new bow for BH's a few years back I was having a LOT of trouble getting my BHs to group with field points. I switched to Blazers based on some research on the web, and right away my BHs were MUCH closer to my field points.

I don't remember all of the technical details right off hand, but just being lighter in the back half of the arrow helped move the FOC (Front of Center) balance, since BH's make the overall arrow length longer. That, combined with the "taller" aspect made my broadheads fly much better.

Keep in mind that everything with archery is give and take.

Give up some stability for speed, lose some speed for forgiveness, quietness vs speed, vs. accuracy vs. you name it. etc etc.

2 inch vanes do a pretty good job at stabilizing, fit through rests easier, and are faster.

4 inch vanes do a great job at stablizing arrow flight, but you give up speed. .. . .

AAE and NAP both make a wonderful 3" vane. just to throw that into the mix.