Thanks for sharing a little about your dad with us. It sure is great that you had so many years of hunting with him. And at least he died out doing something he enjoyed. If we have to go, surely it's nicer to do it outside doing a favorite activity rather than in a nursing home.

Amanda

Great story Snapshot!!

Thanks for sharing sound like he was one heck of a man.....

The times you all spent afield were/are priceless! Congrats to you for having those opportunities and using them so wisely. What a guy, your Dad.... and I'd bet he's smiling at you know, for not forgetting the good times! I hope that I can be a fortunate as your Father, Thank You for sharing.

Brent, Even though we have never met. My Apologies for not reading your post until now...I was not to fond on how this site was going with all the relentless hammering on every post. So I choosed to stay away. Your story is very close to mine as I too loss my farther to a massive heart attack. This was back in 2004. He was a tuff old Pachuco and rolled. It was very tuff to see him on a ventilator struck of all his pride. Anyways, Your father would be proud of the man you have become..I know this by reading your posts... Peace

I envy everyone who remembers his father fondly. Mine was an abusive alcoholic, a miser, a game hog and a poacher, and not someone I wanted to emulate.

For those whose fathers are their friends, I encourage you to tell them how much you appreciate them while they're still with you.

Bill Quimby

My real dad was a maniac hunter like I am, although I only got to hunt with him for 8 years ( he passed away when I was 8 years old from cystic fibrosis). We hunted deer every single year and I never missed a day out in the field with my dad and grandfather. We would wake up at 4AM every morning and make a huge breafast and set off to glass all day. My dad was an awesome glasser and even at my young age he would always make sure I got to see the animals through his binochulars. He was a true outdoorsman, did not care about the scores just enjoyed being out in nature hunting and hanging out with his family. It has been 22 years since he passed and I swear those memories of hunting with my dad are the most vivid and valuable memories I have in my head. He spent every last minute he could with me because he knew they were limited and he made sure they were memories I would remember for the rest of my life. So next time you are headed out make sure to take a young kid out with you. You will never know how much you are doing for them. I have two kids of my own now a 3 year old and a 6 year old. I try as hard as I can to spend as much time possible out in the woods with them. You never know when your last huntin trip may be. You only live once so live your life to the fullest while you are here.

I envy everyone who remembers his father fondly. Mine was an abusive alcoholic, a miser, a game hog and a poacher, and not someone I wanted to emulate.

Bill Quimby

Sorry to hear that Bill, but you seem to have turned out to be a pretty good man anyway!

Thank you. At a very early age I decided to conduct myself exactly the opposite of how that man would have acted.

Bill Quimby

Bill Quimby

Sorry to hear that Bill, but you seem to have turned out to be a pretty good man anyway!

Thank you. At a very early age I decided to conduct myself exactly the opposite of how that man would have acted.

Bill Quimby

Congratulations Bill, it must take amazing foresight, determination and strength to break free of a past like that.

My father isn't into hunting much, but he supports what I do, and enjoys reading my hunt stories!

Amanda

I hope I can leave such a legacy for my children as your dad did for you. Sorry about your loss, but I'll be sure to tell him hello when I'm in unit 27.