Sign in to follow this  
alexjh1

New Scope

I recently got excited about my Unit 29 draw and went back to my last year hunt of seeing a whole lot of deer at a distance and some close however none had antlers in my late Dec hunt. One of the forum member asked about my optics and they are not so good. I bit the bullet after my draw and went out to Cabelas to buy the best I could afford. I have to be honest, I am really excited to pick up my Nikon Monarch 4-16 x 42 rifle scope for my 270 and it has the bullet drop compensator which is I think is pretty cool. Any thoughts on this scope? Either way it beats my old 9 power pretty cheap scope.

Oh, my hunt is in 29 late Nov through early Dec.

Thanks,

Alex

I have seen that scope (Nikon) at Bearbasin for less $$ than you would spend at Cabela's.

I just picked up a Bushnell 4200 6-24 x 44. Mil dot for $329 shipped. I currently have a Leupold but a friend had the Bushnell and I liked it much better. We will see how it goes.

Redman

Well, a buddy has a kid who works at Cabelas and there was an employee discount thing going on. Really tough because the invite doesnt tell you how much you get off. It was sad, the scope was so much nicer than my original....impulse buy...after 2 hours of looking at the different scopes.

For any of you who ever get the opportunity. I was told the discounts, employee, for Cabelas go up to 20%. Basically Cabelas products you will get up to 20% and all other items go down from there more like 10%.

My employee discount coveredthe tax, I walked out the door about $430. I cant complain, I had the money and got a discount.

Thanks for the feedback.

Oh...I sorry I did not get that you alreay bought it...my son's .243 has a Nikon scope and its a great scope. You will be very happy. You got a good deal on the scope.

How are your bino's?

Redman

I currently have a Leupold but a friend had the Bushnell and I liked it much better. Redman

???

Well, my Leupold was not a high end Leupold (VX II 3 x 9), I really like the quality of the Bushnell and there are some very good reviews on it. To get a similar scope in Leuplod, one would have to spend at least double the $$. My Leupold is going on my muzzleloader...

Hopefully I will not even need to use my new scope since I will hope to arrow a buck in August :lol:

Redman

I currently have a Leupold but a friend had the Bushnell and I liked it much better. Redman

???

Well, my Leupold was not a high end Leupold (VX II 3 x 9), I really like the quality of the Bushnell and there are some very good reviews on it. To get a similar scope in Leuplod, one would have to spend at least double the $$. My Leupold is going on my muzzleloader...

Hopefully I will not even need to use my new scope since I will hope to arrow a buck in August :lol:

Redman

Ya I have heard some good things on the very high end Bushnell's. I saved up for 2 years till I could afford my Leupold. I was right out of high school so it took a little while. I ended up with the VXIII 4.5 X 14 X 50mm AO. I have been extremely happy with that scope. How is the warranty on the Bushnell, and Nikon.

Also to get back to the original post I don't have any experience with that particular scope but I have a few friends that love the Nikon's. You should be very happy.

Thanks guys on the discussion, dont ask about my bino's, its ugly. I thought I would start with my rifle scope. As I started this hunting thing, I was pretty sure power was everything and now I know differently. Started with a cheap pair of 10x50's, wasted $150 on a huge pair of bino's that belong on a ship not in the field. I have found since my purchase it is very heavy and not worth hiking in and out of my hunting area.

Excited about the scope, very clear and bright vs the other scopes I looked at.

Alex

Well, it is true buy the best glass you can afford ,i have a Leupold VXIII and is really great is so clear specially on low light and also i have a VXII an other rifle and is really good and i have a Simmons forgot thr model and you can tell the diference , if i was you i will go to sportmans warehouse or cabelas or bass pro and try them all see which one is clear

and the best one you can afford.

do some reseach on the internet sometimes you find crazy prices.

go on e-bay or gunbroker on optics , a lot of those people don't have a inventory so their prices are a lot cheaper.

I have the Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 and I love it. The BDC reticle really works. Also you might try the

Nikon ATB binos. I have the 10x56's. Great glass, very affordable, lightweight and great in low light

conditions. ;)

Gonna stir the pit a little here, and just go out on a limb.

It seems like you bought the new scope with the BDC for the purpose of shooting long range. Great. Gotta upgrade gear to shoot farther and better. 100% fine, true and understood.

Anyways, dont think that just because you have this new scope and BDC in the scope that 500 yards is a chip shot with the BDC. I killed my last buck at 571 yards, and I had shot more than 225 rounds last summer through my new coues gun testing loads and testing the turrets. It takes a while to do the long range thing. Dont just jump right into it with the new scope and the VDC reticle

Gonna stir the pit a little here, and just go out on a limb.

It seems like you bought the new scope with the BDC for the purpose of shooting long range. Great. Gotta upgrade gear to shoot farther and better. 100% fine, true and understood.

Anyways, dont think that just because you have this new scope and BDC in the scope that 500 yards is a chip shot with the BDC. I killed my last buck at 571 yards, and I had shot more than 225 rounds last summer through my new coues gun testing loads and testing the turrets. It takes a while to do the long range thing. Dont just jump right into it with the new scope and the VDC reticle

great point Casey, long range shooting will always be more about practice and knowing your equipment rather than just having it.