Sign in to follow this  
BML

Question for all you bear gurus

I recently found a nasty canyon that is loaded with bear sign, but it's in a unit that isn't open until October. The sign is mostly old, but there were several areas where the bears had been within the last couple days of me being there.

The canyon has little to no prickly pear cactus. There are some pears in the saddles coming out of the canyon and on top, but only half of those pears even have fruit on them. Of the fruit that is there, it's just now starting to turn red and ripen. Both sides of this canyon I would say are 70% oak brush. All the oak brush is loaded with acorns, which I believe is why there is so much sign in there. There is also water in the bottom of the canyon as well.

My question is will those bears hang around in that canyon until October or will they leave to find the pears that are ripe?

Thanks!

More important than pears would be the acorn crop in your canyon and the availability of water.

Man you guys are getting me excited now. There is a natural spring in the bottom of this canyon, so water is always there. There are enough acorns on all that oak brush to feed 200 bears in that canyon. It's long, nasty and nearly completely covered on both sides with oak brush.

I would be more than happy to give you my full evaluation of said canyon.

Please PM me so we can set up a time to check it out.

I am available most weekends but if need be I may be able to sneak out on a weekday.

(need to schedule my helper to be there)

Anything to help out a fellow member ;)

Sound like you may have you a good spot there Blake! ;) I'd set a cam or two in there if you can doo it without spookin everything.... that will tell you how good thee bears are.... ;) Good Luck, Man!

Thanks guys!

By the way, Gino, I sent you a PM on the other site regarding this canyon.

I actually set up a camera in there, but my camera sucks. I had two of the original Moultries and one took a complete dump a few weeks ago. This other one has a mind of it's own. It will take pictures some times, and other times the battery will be dead in two days while it only took one picture. I hung it in there anyway just in case it decided to work again. I am no getting my hopes up for good pictures though. Buying a new camera is not high on my priority list at the moment so I am stuck with the crap I have.

Thanks guys!

By the way, Gino, I sent you a PM on the other site regarding this canyon.

I actually set up a camera in there, but my camera sucks. I had two of the original Moultries and one took a complete dump a few weeks ago. This other one has a mind of it's own. It will take pictures some times, and other times the battery will be dead in two days while it only took one picture. I hung it in there anyway just in case it decided to work again. I am no getting my hopes up for good pictures though. Buying a new camera is not high on my priority list at the moment so I am stuck with the crap I have.

Need a couple of cams :P ;)

HAHA good one Mike!!

I have been trying for 4 years to get on a bear and so far I have deemed myself the worst bear hunter on earth, never seeing a single bear. I think I might just keep this area to myself for a change. :ph34r:

Follow the food to find the bears. Yes, they do prefer acorns over prickly fruit. Come October I would glass and then call. You'll get one!!!

If you have a choice, take an evening hunt over a morning one.

They seem to come out fairly early in the evening, like 3:00 to 4:30 pm, but they often are already gone by the time shooting light comes in the morning.

Prickly pears are WAY overrated. They hit them in areas that don't have ripe acorns but that's about it.

I found canyons like this in 20A but apparently the bear density is extremely low in the Bradshaws as I found little fresh sign- even when the acorns were falling like apples. I glassed for a week and never found anything but mulies.

Good luck-

I am no expert, but in the unit I hunt, wherever there heavy acorns, you can't move 5 feet without steppin in bear scat. I never have had much luck with a call, but I don't use them very often.