WHALE

scent control

Wondering what kind of scent control the rest of you bow hunters use when either checking your stand sites for activity or hunting your stands? I have hunted with guys that sprayed their boots even to check their stands prior to season. Another said he uses nothing just gets above 25' in the tree? I am pretty much like the latter of the two.

Any opinions :blink:

Fuggetabout It!!! ;) :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: We spray down... but that is about it.... all you can do is try but I think that Sent Lock crap is just lik throwing lots of $$$$ away... IMO.... A good grount blind is the best sent control, IMO.... had deer come from down wind and behind the blind and still walk right past..... ;) Good Luck, Johnny! ;)

I use Trophy Blend Scents. It comes in the form of a deorderant stick, so no mess and you can wipe it on anything, pack it in any pack and have any scent you could ever want for hunting in AZ. They have alot of scents to choose from. I think its worth the money!

http://www.trophyblend.com/products.php?p=1

Any questions about it, send me a PM

Just a few weeks ago I was checking a tank for sign and a place to hang my trail camera. I made a full circle around the tank and then went in a draw behind the tank to hang my trail camera. 20 minutes later I walked back after hanging the camera and two bucks were watering at the tank. I literally walked right through that very spot and they didn't even care.

I have had several people ask me about scent control and if I think it is BS or not. I tell them all the same thing. It's all about how confident it makes you feel. I am a little crazy with it. I wash my clothes with the detergent. Dry them with dryer sheets and then store them in plastic tubs in my closet. I will get dressed in the field so I don't get all the car smells and stuff on my camo. I am that guy that throws off the curve!!

Bottom line, is if using it makes you more confident in your abilities in the field that by all means keep doing it. If you think it's all a gimmick and doesn't matter either way, then there's no need to waste the money.

Fuggetabout It!!! ;) :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: We spray down... but that is about it.... all you can do is try but I think that Sent Lock crap is just lik throwing lots of $$$$ away... IMO.... A good grount blind is the best sent control, IMO.... had deer come from down wind and behind the blind and still walk right past..... ;) Good Luck, Johnny! ;)

I am with CnS regarding the "Sent Lock". I spray down and work the wind, but it is not something I get obsessed over. If the deer are jumpy.......they will use any reason to run, but if you catch them in a normal state and you do not smell like a honky tonk you are good to go.

Get tree branches,plants and or grass from the area you'll be hunting and throw them in a plastic bag along with your hunting clothes for at least a week before your hunt.

Also, if you find fresh deer dropings, step on them and rub them on your clothes; but above all.....whatch the wind direction.

Ernesto C

I have had the same experience, big bucks cross my trail an hour later and don't seem to care. But, all the eastern whitetail hunters I know won't leave their truck without rubber boots. Maybe it's a eastern whitetail thing? I do use scent lock, but I am not sure it works. All scents has a cumulative effect, so I use every precaution that I can.

Mark

I think it depends on the deer. some are just high strung and other don't care about much. I use both sent lock head to toe, rubber boots plus spray down. I have had deer walk 5 yards away and other that come with in 25 yards and freak out. what ever you do it will be a plus. I have noticed the bigger they are the more edgy they become. 02$ worth :blink: some times we get what we pay for :P

Each deer and each herd is more or less wary than the next depending on their own comfortability levels and huntinf stress. . . I believe.

I have only seen a deer "wind me" and bolt one time . . . usually busted by movement or too much noise.

I always use unscented body soap, unscented deodorant, and then spray down before the hunt, and whenever I get sweaty.

I use special laundry detergent too, all that stuff doesn't really cost that much, I feel it works rather well.

And all I do is spot and stalk, never sit a blind or treestand for this cowboy. . . I will save that for when I am too crippled to walk.

I think Muleys could care less what you do as long as you arent looking at them or walking towards them . . . whiteys are something else though.

I do own scentlock boots and a jacket, but can't tell a difference nor have I seen/learned any difference from my regular boots/jackets to make them worth the extra money.

My humble two cents worth. . .

The most important factor to controlling scent on a hunt is know how to use the wind. If you know how to use the wind to your favor your good you dont even need scent control. But it would be best if you use scent control. Remember it is never to bad to be over sure when it comes to controlling scent.

thanks for the info and ideas. good luck to everyone this fall.

My AC went out on me and I had an 80 mile drive in 100 plus degrees here in Phoenix area. I showered with the hunters speacial brand scent killers. I used shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and deodorant. After all of that me and my wife could not smell eve alittle bit of any kind of odor. Now that is a great product. I also felt very fresh and clean today. That was the cheapest brand that I saw @ the major sporting good places.

i use all the soaps, deodorants and all the other products, wash my clothes with sceneliminator detergent , spray them and store them year around with all types of branches, leaves , and speccially juniper berries.

and most important use the wind in your favor.

I forgot my favorite trick!. . . .

Whenever you get in the field, take 25 seconds and grab the nearest bush-tree and shred it up, rubbing it all over yourself.

There is nothing more natural than the surrounding vegetations cover scent.

And if anyone is watching you, they will surely stay away from you because they will think you are touched in the head.

Plus there are those clorophyll tablets that actually take a LOT of human odor away.

Headache, Allready workin on it since 2007(chlorophyllin based supplements) and other secret ingredients relevant to your surroundings per geological regions( and yes, they do work). Available Dec 2009. Looking forward to becomeing a sponsor and affilliate website Amanda ;) . The future of scent control will revert to our primal means of descenting naturally from within, only in the convenient form of a pill, drink, snackbar gum etc. They are in the midst of starting Our website so try FourWindsHunting.com if HuntRxScent.com isn't working.

post-2337-1250176397_thumb.png